Az...about that Mocha Porter

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Az...about that Mocha Porter

Post by jayhawk »

Is it necessary to do the 90 min boil? What is the logic behind this? Also, I assume the coffee is an optional ingredient. I think I would like to try it w/o the coffee first, as you did, albeit accidentally.
Chris
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Coffee is option, and the 90 min.s is ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Chris,
I read that in order to truly utilize all grain that the wort must be boiled for 90 minutes to "enhance" the enzyms". I never questioned and have always boiled for 90 minutes. I also usually add bittering hops for 90 minutes. I imagine that it would do you no harm to boil for 60 if that was what you were after ? ? ? The 1/2 cup of coffee goes in at the last 5 minutes, the mocha porter that we tried only had a tiny hint of coffee flavor. Let me know if you try it OK?

Paul.

PS, sorry for the delay we took an extended weekend in Savannah GA. my wife loves "Ghost" walks, Savannah was voted the most haunted city in the US out beating Salem Ma. by the Assoc. of Para-Psychics. Bonaventure Cemetary where they filmed the voodoo scene from "Midnight in the garden of good and evil" is all you would expect LOL ...