Complete Documentation

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
La93rMeister

Complete Documentation

Post by La93rMeister »

Please. Please, please, please. Pretty please. Spend some time on documentation. What I've read so far just scratches the surface and explains brewing itself and not the software. It's almost as if the person that wrote the documentation is not the developer and doesn't understand the software and just wrote some basic brewing knowledge down.

Examples of where this would be really helpful:
- How the heck the parameters set in one spot affect calculated parameters in other spots
- Contextual tips that explain why a value isn't editable and what is affecting it

A more concrete example:
- Schedule stage definition (you've already covered what mashing in is... now tell me how to calculate the temperature of my strike water because that form is NOT self explanatory given what I've found tooling around the software without real documentation)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Complete Documentation

Post by jawbox »

Hi La,

For beertools to calculate water temp for you you'll need to calibrate your equipment (mash tun). Take a look here Vessel.
Vessel.tiff
Vessel.tiff (63.31 KiB) Viewed 16823 times
Once you have that, selecting actual mash temps is something you will decide. In the mash-in (dough-in) you need to select your calibrated mash tun as the mash vessel. Then make sure you select something in the heating vessel otherwise btp will assume theres no temp loss due to the thermal mass of the mash tun. Beertools will then calculate your strike water temp for you.
Mash.tiff
Mash.tiff (48.58 KiB) Viewed 16823 times
From there you add rest steps and further water infusions or direct heat if running a rims/herms/biab system.
Schedule.tiff
Schedule.tiff (155.58 KiB) Viewed 16823 times

Later,
Jaw

PS. Jeff if you see this it would have been easier to add an actual .btp file but the forum will not let you.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

jawbox wrote:PS. Jeff if you see this it would have been easier to add an actual .btp file but the forum will not let you
Thanks, I will look into that.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

jawbox wrote:PS. Jeff if you see this it would have been easier to add an actual .btp file but the forum will not let you
Sure enough. The btp file extension was configured but the “extension group” was not enabled in the forum. Sorry about that. :?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

See attachment. Hopefully the mash schedule makes more sense to you once you open it up and take a look.

Thanks Jeff.

Jaw
Attachments
Shannon's Mild Brew 2.btp
(37.8 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)