Pilsner Mashing Times

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Pilsner Mashing Times

Postby swanneext » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:44 pm

I've been brewing for 16 years but never tried to lager. I'm putting together my first recipe for a pilsner (Prima clone) and am pretty confused on the mashing times. Some with double or triple decoction to straight up 90 minutes or less. I'm thinking of starting with just a simple mash time then move from there. Can anyone tell me, or explain what I should be considering in determining mash times?
Thanks so much!
Swannee
Swannee
swanneext

Re: Pilsner Mashing Times

Postby slothrob » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:34 am

You can make a great pilsner with a 60 minute single-infusion mash. Pilsner malt is high in enzymes because it is lightly kilned and tends to convert very easily.

Some brewers might choose to mash longer to try and sqeeze a little more efficiency out of the mash, since Pilsners are often mashed at a low temperature, like 148°F. To get my full efficiency, I increase the mash temp to 158-162°F for the last 10-20 minutes, but the gain is relatively small. Decoction is unnecessary with all but very specialized malts, so that is something some brewers might do because of a slight flavor difference they perceive, but I wouldn't make my first one that way.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Return to Techniques, Methods, Tips & How To