need more info plz

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

need more info plz

Post by stouts »

ok , thanks for the previous input, now a few more questions about the homebrew store idea.
1.how did you find out about your local brew shop?
2.if a brew shop was a little off the main road would you go there , say close to town but on an unbusy side street?
3.if there is another brewshop 35 miles away with a fancier building but the same items and the cost was a little higher which one would you go to?
4.do you oftenly check brew mags and web searches for new on-line stores?
thanks again
jay
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Answers

Post by andytv »

1) I found my local guy from word of mouth advertising; my web suppliers through search engines.
2) Yes, I would go to a brew shop on a side street, but I'd be pissed if I had to carry 50# of grain to the main street because of limited parking.
3) I hate driving, I would pay more at your shop just so I wouldn't have to drive 35 miles.
4) I don't often check for new suppliers; I'm sort of stuck on homebrew.com, G&G, and st pats. It's a little exhausting comparison shopping on the internet, especially when you have to consider shipping charges. If you are going to "web market" make it easy for us; publish a shipping cost chart, competitor price comparisons, etc.

Andy
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

answers

Post by dartedplus »

1. asked around...phone book
2. whatever, thats why I have a car
3. i would have to go to both, but then I would realize that I dont need to drive the extra 35 miles, although, personality does cont for something, I want to enjoy who I'm doing business with because I'm not just doing business, I'm also doing pleasure
4. no, its rare for a new one to open up, but I do check the pages of BYO and some of the other rags like Yankee Brew News and others like it (when I can get my hands on them), but I dont go out of my way to do it

I hope this helps
Ed
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Answers

Post by Team Beer »

1. Word of mouth ( but its closed now )
2. Definitely in fact back in the day ( previous city to where I am now ) that was exactly where the shop was.
3. I would not drive as long as the shop has fresh yeast, good hops, and a nice grain mill. In fact I would pay a little more than drive.

4. Not really I have stuck with B3 since I lost my local shop ( Free Shipping is huge deal ).
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Answers

Post by jayhawk »

1) Through the yellow pages. His add had the most homebrew feel, it seemed like he really cared about making good beer. The competitors were more about stripping the beer process down to no brain kit brewing. I wanted the real deal.
2)If you had a quality shop with knowledgeable staff and quality selection yes. If your store sucked, then no I would not go there. I think the store is the key in homebrewing not location. You probably won't get a lot of people walking off the street and deciding to buy a beginners set up.
3) This situation applies to me, but I stick with the local guy. I like the idea of supporting the "little guy", and the superficial appearance of the store doesn't matter to me. In fact, a spic and span operation is kind of a turn off for me. It seems sterile and lacks personality.
4)No
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

answers

Post by stumpwater »

1. I found four brewshops within 56 km's of me by searching and searching and searching.
2. I order my ingredients from the brew shop that has helped me the most. If I need to brew before they arrive, then I head to the where ever I must to get what I need. Freshness being the key though. I do not order from two places because they refuse to support fresh ingredients. I will travel as far as I must in order to get what I need.
3. I owned a business and discounting is not the way to go because the other guy can always lower his/her price and then what do you do when there is no profit margin? I only deal with people who are HELPFULL and willing to serve the customer. If I get the idea that I am in the way or taking up time, I'm gone for good. As already mentioned, I will go to has the best ingredients. If it is a tie then it is convenience to get the raw materials, then cost, in that order.
4. I rarely deal with online stores, but I do check out beer mags and online stores regularly to keep up with what is available. I then go to my favourite shop (because I have a supplier I really, really like), and see if she can get me what I need. Her dedication to her customers has been proven to me over and over so I always order through her if I can.

Hope it helps.
P.S. I owned a retail store for 8 years. (unrelated to brewing). Any questions or tips let me know at archersofalbion@hotmail.com and I will do my best to answer.

Stefan
HardcoreLegend
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Answers

Post by HardcoreLegend »

1. Local print advertising
2.I agree with the thing about parking the other guy said. Location is secondary to parking.
3. I like to support my local homebrew shop. If they don't have it, they will get it for me. Having said that, they have a truly excellent selection of products at competitive prices, but it is just not possible to have everything. And I also agree with that personality comment too.
4. No. If I want something from the internet, my local homebrew shopcan probably get it for me for the same price. I have never ordered from morebeer.com , but that free shipping is pretty cool.
so, if there are enogh local homebrewers to support your shop, have a good selection, be nice,have easy access parking, and advertise cheaply until you get going. There are two other places in my town to buy beer stuff, but I am very loyal to the shop that supports the brewing community.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Answers

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Jay,

1.) I have been brewing 11 years now and have gone thru MANY brew shops, have you ever seen a pig root out truffles, that's me with good cheap dependable HBS's.

2.) Off the main road ? ? ? are you kiding I go 100 miles for a good deal (plus my wife likes going to Charlotte for "lunch"). So we make a day of it, mind you I usually buy 3 batches worth when I go. If I need something special or just something I forgot I travel to my "local" guy 35 miles away. Greenville SC is ripe for a HBS.

3.) I would go to the one that carries what I need when I need it. I don't care if the place was in a trailer park LOL ...

4.)Nope not when I am satisfied with the guys I am dealing with, once they get to big for their britches then I move on to the next. I am really happy with the guys in Charlotte. "Homebrew Adventures, regular guys that brew regular beer with no attitudes.

Hope this helps,

Paul.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Homebrew Adventures

Post by andytv »

Paul,

Did you know that you can get a membership at homebrew adventures? It's $15 and you get 10% of every order! They are one of my favs. Their ingredient kits are good too! I looked into morebeer.com (free shipping) and found that I could get ingredients from homebrew adventures shipped for cheaper than morebeer.com's "free shipping" price. Guess they get their $$ one way or another.

Andy