Progress on the new BeerTools Pro

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Progress on the new BeerTools Pro

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:I've been contemplating trying to run BTP using a remote desktop application like VNC. Mostly so I could keep my laptop out of the brewery, but still have access to my recipe and schedule and make any last-minute calculations that I might need. Have you tried this? Do you know if this is unrealistic?
I haven't tried it. However, the BeerTools® Connect server opens the way for new possibilities in this regard. Initially, it will be a place to store and share recipes. Down the road, recipes stored on the server will be viewable via the web; and later, with minor editing capabilities.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

I am pleased with how the new interface is shaping up. Some of the less important elements have been removed from the main window and made accessible through a "details" window. Also, many of the entry fields at the top of the recipe area of the main window can be concealed using a disclosure triangle on the left. Collapsing this part of the recipe area opens up more room for the ingredients list as requested. The screenshot demonstrates the effect:
btp_main_win_2013-06-13.jpg
btp_main_win_2013-06-13.jpg (129.88 KiB) Viewed 22882 times
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by a_daley »

I assume you will want to get the Windows / Mac versions operational before considering the geeks on linux.... :D :D :D

Great progress though and it does look much more user friendly which is essential for those just starting out...

Was wondering if you would consider an export option to an epub or mobi file so recipes can be read on tablets and other ereaders.....
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by a_daley »

Was thinking about how the water calibration isn't that user friendly (consider the number of questions on the forum related to it) and the grist ph and wondering if it would be possible to link outside programs like Bru'n Water and others into BTP rather than running them as separate apps.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. I hope to eventually address all of them. First step, though, is to get the main features in place and start beta testing. Rather than delay the beta until after the program is feature complete, I would like to begin testing the cloud storage and sharing features while I work on the rest of the punch list. It may be optimistic, but I am going to push to get that started by August.

I simple model has been selected for how recipes are stored and shared on the server. A folder with a cloud icon is found in the library hierarchy on the left of the main window. Dragging recipes to that folder or one of its subfolders saves them to the server. Subfolders can be created the same way as they are created for local recipe management. The benefits of storing recipes on the server include easy access from home or the web, and one click sharing with other users.

Recipe sharing involves two things. First, each user establishes "connections" with other BeerTools.com members. By means of these connections, a user grants others access to his recipes by giving them "read" or "write" privileges. Second, individual recipes can be designated to be "personal" or "share with connections". Recipes that are shared by a user’s connections are accessible in the connections folder identified by a little network icon in the library.

A couple limitations are imposed on what a user can do with his connections’ recipes. He can’t create or delete recipes for his connections. If he has "read" privileges he can only view and copy his connection’s recipes; with "write" privileges he can make edits to the recipes.

This sharing model was designed to be simple enough to understand yet flexible enough to be configured for a wide range of needs. It should prove useful for brewing clubs, commercial breweries and individuals brewing with some buddies.
Attachments
recipe sharing pulldown menu
recipe sharing pulldown menu
Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 10.07.06 AM.png (74.91 KiB) Viewed 22449 times
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Jeff

Will you be able to edit a connections recipe once copied to your own computer?
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

jawbox wrote:Jeff

Will you be able to edit a connections recipe once copied to your own computer?
Yep. The copy becomes yours and the original remains unchanged. If your connection gives you write privileges you can edit the original.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Will it be possible to post a link on a forum to the recipe in the cloud, for other BTP owners to follow?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:Will it be possible to post a link on a forum to the recipe in the cloud, for other BTP owners to follow?
Definitely within the realm of possibility. It isn't enabled yet but you may notice the "Share With Everyone" item in the sharing menu. The purpose of this is to make recipes world readable meaning they would be viewable on the website.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Sounds very interesting. Looks good, Jeff!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
thyirishmen

Post by thyirishmen »

Will the cloud storage be free? Beer smith wants to charge for more than15 recipes stored! Also could you point to your own server if you own one for the recipes to be stored on instead if the storage isn't free?

The only other change I would love to see is the water profiles to be 1 click matching. Instead of changing each salt to fit your pre set profile. You just create your profile load in the water qty and click compute. While it matches the best possibility to your profile.

The changes look great thank you so much!!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

thyirishmen wrote:Will the cloud storage be free? Beer smith wants to charge for more than15 recipes stored! Also could you point to your own server if you own one for the recipes to be stored on instead if the storage isn't free?
I think the logical scenario is to base storage limits on membership status. GOLD members should have higher storage quotas than BASIC (free) members. I'll have to give some thought to the actual limits but they will likely be based on disk space rather than recipe count. For example, if the quota is 5MB for BASIC members that could mean well over 100 recipes depending on what is saved with each recipe. Some are pretty lean if they only include ingredients. I feel that such a quota is more than enough to get a user started.

Using an alternate server isn't going to be an option. The server side of the cloud uses an elaborate web application which would have to be installed on any server that BTP connects to. Additionally, the server application pulls data from the BeerTools.com database to logon members and establish sharing connections. Direct access to that database with its member and recipe records is not made available to any person, computer or device except the BeerTools.com website and related BTP APIs.

I hope this answers your questions. :)
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
thyirishmen

Post by thyirishmen »

Ok thank you. What about the auto calc water profile
bruerik
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by bruerik »

Any idea of when the new btp will be available?
Macbook, Intel 2.2Ghz dual core, 4GB RAM. 13" display 1280 x 800, 320GB Sata Drive.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

I posted this above and hope to still meet this deadline:
jeff wrote:Rather than delay the beta until after the program is feature complete, I would like to begin testing the cloud storage and sharing features while I work on the rest of the punch list. It may be optimistic, but I am going to push to get that started by August.
A late 2013 launch is what I'm shooting for.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff