Styles

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Styles

Post by a_daley »

Regarding the BJCP it seems to be falling a bit behind with the times - for example a Black IPA to name one beer that is still unclassified (yet it is being sold in bars down under). Can we add more styles like say those listed at http://nhc.soba.org.nz/styles ?? Especially useful than having to go through over 50 different brews under section 23!!!
bobcat_brewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Styles

Post by bobcat_brewer »

I'm certainly not speaking on any authority, but I expect the BJCP to be updated soon. There are quite a few different "styles" that have become popular the past few years that aren't addressed as official styles in the 2008 revision.

No offense to the down under brewers (or any other country for that matter), but just about all of the amateur competitions held in the US follow the 2008 BJCP style guidelines. It will become quite confusing to have BJCP and non BJCP styles supported in the software. However, if the software user could select a set of guidelines to follow then that might be a solution to fit everybody's needs.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

bobcat_brewer wrote:However, if the software user could select a set of guidelines to follow then that might be a solution to fit everybody's needs.
Can always add your own custom styles too (in BTP). 8)

My guess is that a_daley is probably referring to the online recipe database in which case custom styles aren't available as search choices. Style category 23 tends to be the catchall.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
bobcat_brewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by bobcat_brewer »

Ah, gotcha. I can see how that would be tedious.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I created one for Black IPA with info from the BA guidelines
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by a_daley »

Sorry not coming back sooner, have been feeling lousy over the past few weeks due to pnemonia...

As Jeff said I actually was refering to the site - would be nice if they updated them or know especially as there are hundreds of new craft beers coming out from various parts of the globe now days on the commercial market (how long ago did Black IPA go on the commercial market?).

In my own btp I have split Spice, Herb, Root Veges, Leaf Veges, Pod Veges (beans etc) to name a few... And added a few others which might all have to be updated if new BJCP guidelines are released at the end of the year or not...

Sorry going back to bed...