Ginger Beer

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

xero1
Light Lager
Light Lager

Ginger Beer

Post by xero1 »

Have just started my first batch of ginger beer, and found that after the 3rd morning the mix isnt really bubbling as fast as the previous 3 batches of beer were. I s this a common thing for the ginger beer or is something hoing dreadfully wrong? Thanks
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Plastic bucket seal?

Post by jayhawk »

The following assumes you are fermenting in a plastic bucket. I had this experience after a few batches and discovered that the seal on my primary bucket was not 100% closed. Now, I rarely get the rapid airlock activity like I did when the bucket was new because removing the lid repeatedly has caused the seal to loosen. (Don't worry if the bucket doesn't seal all the way). Now I just peak carefully into the bucket through the hole where the bung goes and make sure that there is a good head of foam on the beer. This is a sure sign of fermentation. If this is not happening, then take a hydrometer reading. If the beer has not fermented fully and has no signs of active fermentation, then something is probably going wrong.

PS Just curious, how much ginger did you throw in the recipe? I have yet to make a ginger beer, but it is on the list.
Good luck
Chris
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

3-hour tour

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Ginger? How come mobody ever makes a Mary Ann Beer?
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Tap that

Post by jayhawk »

I'm more of a Mary Ann guy. I would "tap" that any day.
xero1
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mary ann beer

Post by xero1 »

What the hell is that? But ginger mmm love ginger. wheres a recipe?
xero1
Light Lager
Light Lager

Ginger amount

Post by xero1 »

Sorry no idea, Im only fairly new to this so I just bought a bringalow tin mix of the whole ginger beer syrip and followed the instructions, one day when I grow up I will move into making from sctratch, but after trying my first batch last night of draught Im a pretty happy camper mmmmmmm
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Skipper!!

Post by jayhawk »

Xero, you not frum 'round dees here parts?
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Reruns

Post by jayhawk »

Wonder where the still was on the island. The professor must have had a good knowledge of how to make happy juice.
xero1
Light Lager
Light Lager

hopping with the Kangaroos

Post by xero1 »

from oz land so what is this mary ann beer ?
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Pardon my ignorance

Post by jayhawk »

Sorry xero, I just assumed that you would have seen the show Gilligans Island, an old sitcom about some folks who get stranded on an island. Ginger and Mary Ann are the two eligible females, and the reference to Mary Ann beer was a joke about my preference for more down to earth women. "Mary Ann Beer" is just some BS I concocted while reading this thread after coming home from a local jam session where the brew flowed free. Hope that clears everything up.
Chris
xero1
Light Lager
Light Lager

ok now I feel stupid

Post by xero1 »

Sorry not so up to date on gilligans Island, but you had me certanlly asking a few people I know if they had heard of it, so maybe you should be making some con-coction and naming it that?