Mash Hopper

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mash Hopper

Post by jayhawk »

Today I am brewing my Mash Hopper Pale. Reading an article in Zymurgy about the process got me curious. Right now I am sparging, but the first runnings definetly have good hop flavour. Of course, it is impossible to really get a good idea of what the hop aroma and flavour is like with all that unfermented malt sweetness. It does comes through on the aftertaste though. Anyway, I will keep the forum dutifully posted on any new developments as I, and the beer, go through the brewing process.

Chris
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

what ish?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

What Zymurgy issue had the mash hoppong article in it? I'll have to hunt that down. Mesa was very kind in guiding Freon and myself through the basic process for the witbier fest spawned on this board. It's a good thread from about 2 weeks back if you hadn't come across it.

Brew it Like You Mean It
Jim
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Info

Post by jayhawk »

Jim, the issue is Jan/Feb 2001. The article is also found on a website: www.paddockwood.com/guide_mash_hopping_sedam.html
Now go on and git brewin'
Chris

PS So you play guitar eh? I just picked up a Martin dreadnought last Oct, right before I started brewing. I have yet to serenade the kettle yet though. What styles do you like to play? Myself, I just like the rock n' roll and good acoustic folky stuff like Jerry Garcia and David Grisman.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

pickin n' grinnin

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Thanks for the article link, Chris.

Gotta love the Martin's! My wife bought me one of the mahogany D-15's (their only affordable guitar!) a couple of years ago, and I love it.

Since having my first kid a few years ago I have not been able to play out much, but I used to do the acoustic duo thang 1 night a week at a local bar. Beatles, CSNand/orY, James Taylor, Van Morrison, misc. Celtic and folf stuff, Dead, Rundgren, and basically anything acoustic with good 2-part harmony. A good deal of original stuff along those lines when we had a receptive crowd.

The guy I originally started brewing with waaayy back in college was also a big guitar head and I always equated good music w/good homebrew. Good to see there is a pattern out there.

Cheers,
Jim