Mash times

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mash times

Post by jayhawk »

Is there a time threshold (relative to mash temp) beyond which a mash should not be held? I have thermometer issues, and I now use two in my mash because the range between them is about 3C. So, if I think I am mashing at 66C, it could really 69 or 70 C. If I leave the mash at 70C for over 1 hour, will there be a problem? I am leaving the mash a little longer (1.5-2) hours, just to make sure that I get proper conversion. My desired mash temp is 68C. Is anything over 1.5hrs too long at this temp?

I know this sounds like really mickey mouse backyard brewing, but I know I am in the the proper temp range, the problem is I can't precisely say what the exact temp is. I realize the solution to this is to get a decent thermometer, but I can't seem to find one. All that I can find are cheapo made in China deals.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thermometer woes

Post by Gravity Thrills »

You could spend $100 on a thermometer and still have one that is not reading true - my statistics professors would have told me that's the difference between accuracy and precision. I think you're doing it fine just taking the average of a couple of cheapos for now. Empirically, you will know by the gravities you get after a few batches that you are on target and then you can relax and have a beer.

As far as overmashing, there are many people that say it can be done. I have made good beer by mashing in before bed and letting it ride until teh morning (have to brew around the wife and kids). If you are concerned about mashing away all body, select mash-in temps to favor dextrinous sugars and add a luttle dextrine malt. Mostly, relax...
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Good, I will

Post by jayhawk »

Thanks. I didn't think I really had to worry, but since the forum is here, I thought I would ask anyhow.