Social Question ? What is your preferred label ?

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Social Question ? What is your preferred label ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

When you go out and actually buy beer, what is the first label you go for, basically it can be locally brewed or big scale commercially brewed. I am just trying to get a sense of what we like to drink. Of course other than what we brew ourselves :-)

Paul.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Harp Lager, Saranac Pale Ale.

Post by Azorean Brewer »

These two are my old favorites, I like many different labels but for some reason I keep going back to these two. Others that are equally good are "Leinie's Red" (Leinenkugels) up in the northern midwest, Smokey mountain Brewery's "Helles" in Gatlinburg Tenn., Pilsner Urquell, etc ...
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

My Preferences

Post by BillyBock »

Well, that'd be Guinness and Sam Adams. My favorite Sam Adams brews are Oktoberfest, Winter Lager, and Cream Stout. But if you put me under a Guinness tap, I'll always be a happy man :-)
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

bbbeeer!

Post by stumpwater »

I like so many beers, but I go out and drink Guinness. At home it depends on the season, but I always go through a phase that includes Beck's, Grolsch, and Heineken, and a phase that includes Waterloo Dark, Hobgoblin and Upper Canada Dark. My new found favourites include Dragon Stout (Jamaica) and Imperial Stout from Wellington County.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Still waiting for good variety

Post by Fraoch »

Bit limited here in Oz there used to be a great import bottle shop at the Morrison Hotel, Best variety of english, american, belgian etc. I used to spend more time choosing than buying, Well, they got bought out by some major chain as have ALL the bottle shops and now variety is dead.Mediocraty rules. I no longer buy beer at all really and stick to my own. occasionally ill have a Kilkenny, but it now gives me headaches, if i buy a beer itll be Guinness, but im real fussy and its ALWAYS too cold!!! so i let it sit and warm up. but when my bottle shop was a bottle shop my favourite bottled tipple was Timothy Taylors Landlord Pale Ale, Massive hop flavour profile,. once i tasted this multi award winning beer, i changed my brewing technique and now 50% of the bittering hop quota is in flavouring alone. Ive come close to it but...... thers always that something......
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Roughing It

Post by Gravity Thrills »

If I was to be stranded on the proverbial desert island - one that had beer deliveries, mind you - and I had to pick three commercial beers to drink for the rest of my life, they would be Guinness, London Pride, and Sierra Nevada Pale. I figure I'll also be drinking lots of Mai Tai's with the natives, so I guess I'd survive :-)

Cheers,
Jim
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lament for Shaftebury...a true BC original

Post by jayhawk »

In BC the government controls liquor distribution. We get a lot of standard import names like Guiness, Kilkenny, Heiny, Becks, MGD. The local micro brewing was exploding in the 90s, I was just getting my drinking legs during their heyday. Unfortunately, all my old faves have been bought out by the larger breweries, so even the old micro brews aren't micros anymore (now called craft brews). Shaftebury , based in Delta BC, had probably the best micro going, but was bought out. The Hemp, Traditional and Cream Ales were amazing. Sleeman was the buyer, and they moved production of the brand somewhere else, and the beer suffered. But I can thank the original Shaftebury for teaching what really good, quality beer is. (The Cream Ale still rocks). The best, true Micro available is Yukon Brewing from Whitehorse Yukon. Their "Artic Red" is amazing!

Chris
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

DAB

Post by Freon12 »

Dortmunder. Yep, Dorty and Sam Adams Fest.
I have been known to buy Hacker also. All German you say, Why yes, yes they are.

Gotta go, I think I here my Wit calling.

Steve.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

DAB you say?

Post by jayhawk »

I have dabbled in DAB. I get it in 500ml cans out here. Anyway, it's funny how you mentioned it 'cuz I got a lot of flack from my buddies when I brought a few DABs to a party. I wasn't fazed though, I know a good beer when I drink one. I'll leave the MGD and Molson Canadian to my buddies, pass me a DAB.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

The Best and The Usual

Post by dartedplus »

I would have to say that probably the best beer I ever had was Jacobite from Traquair House. On a more regular basis, I prefer Yeungling Traditional Lager...mothers milk!
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Oz brews

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I, too, was saddened by the lack of variety in beer the couple weeks I was Down Under. In NSW, I pretty much drank Toohey's Old, and ran screaming every time someone tried to give me a VC (or maybe it was VB - Victoria Bitter I think...), whatever that was. I did happen to be in Sydney on ANZAC Day, which of course I had never heard of, but there was much drinking involved so it gets my approval (and everyone was playing a freaky gambling game with a wooden paddle and 2 coins that I never quite figured out). I found a nice brewpub in Sydney called the Lord Nelson that I spent some time in.

Up in Cairns, Queensland, the regional brew I stuck with was Carlton's Mid-Strength - uneventful and overcarbonated, but it kind of grew on me and now I have a friend bring it back for me when she comes to visit. There were a couple of local micros there, too, of varying quality.

Good call on the Landlord Pale - I haven't had that in years!

"My Shout," if I ever run into you at your local!
stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

my favs

Post by stouts »

My favorits are arrogant !@#$ ald, hogs heaven barley wine, and old rasputin imperial stout , but on a regular basis i drink anything made by siearra nevada and sometimes st. arnolds(a houston micr-brewery)
later jay
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Start at mine....

Post by Fraoch »

see you at my house for starters, then onto the local micro's to sample their brews. We'll order ahead so the beer aint ffffffffreezing when we drink it. Some of it aint too bad once the flavour gets through the slush!!!Is beer supposed to give you "ice cream" headache??????
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

years ago...

Post by Fraoch »

I used to drink nothing but "Godsons Black Horse" years ago when at college. When i went on line i found the head brewer of this beer via CAMRA in Britain, hes now a major player in the "Hopback Brewery". Anyway i emailed him for the recipe and to my suprise, he gave it to me, theres some jiggling necessary to make it work, but if anyone is interested, here it is, youll ned to move a decimal point on the hops and it requires some other fermentable to make the 1048 SG. As far as i am aware the British brewers use "invert cane sugar" or "Golden Syrup". I may be wrong- Mesa???I adjusted by adding the loss of extract by using more pale in the mash, But see what you think, i got mine to ferment down to 1014 and it makes a SENSATIONAL porter!!!

recipe for 1 barrel or 288 pints
14kg best pale
0.55kg black
0.42kg fuggles
0.94kg goldings
Copper gravity should be 1049 and collection 1047.8.

As i said, this is the brewers own recipe, and i suspect that the Golding quota is flavouring hops. I think i divided it by 10 though. Best of luck - it is VERY good!!!!!!

Fraoch
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Micros

Post by l48shark »

I commonly buy Sam Adams, but I usually go for a regional brewery's beer. New Belgium, Flying Dog, Rouge, etc. Sierra Nevada pale ale is the homebrewer's old reliable. I like 'em all.