Fermentation

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

dermottusmc

Fermentation

Post by dermottusmc »

I just brewed a pale ale, there is cottage cheese type stuff floating on top of my carboy. This started a few hours after I pitched the yeast, northwestern ale wyeast. :?:
slothrob

Odd looking krausen

Post by slothrob »

I haven't used the Northwest Ale yeast, but it's probably just the krausen.

A lot of yeasts have a cottage cheese-like appearance. WLP002 is the one that comes to mind that often freaks people out the first time they use it. Like Northwest Ale 002 is a highly flocculant yeast, so it probably has something to due with the yeast's propensity to clump together.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
dermottusmc

Post by dermottusmc »

Thanks for the answer. I just checked this morning, it appears to be "normal" as far as fermenting. Forgot to add that I am trying the EVOO test instead of aerating the wort. :)
slothrob

EVOO

Post by slothrob »

Let us know how that works out.

I've used it on bigger beers, in conjunction with normal aeration, as insurance. I've never tried to use it by itself.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
dermottusmc

Post by dermottusmc »

Wow, put the blow off tube in on sun morn and it is still going. :!:
dermottusmc

Okay

Post by dermottusmc »

New question, this batch is still very active and fermenting going on 11 days basic ale 1.052 with northwest ale yeast. Only thing I did different is added EVOO at fermentation time. Any clues? :?
slothrob

EVOO

Post by slothrob »

It could be that the olive oil is just not as efficient as oxygenation, so the yeast grew less or more slowly so the fermentation is taking longer. I've read that it does take a little longer for the beer to mature with olive oil. However, it does sound like it has been an active fermentation, so it doesn't sound like it should have been slow :?:

I've never used the Northwest Ale yeast. Some yeasts finish more slowly than others, maybe this is one of those. I've had fermentations that have been strong for over a week, but 11 days is certainly on the long side. You don't really have any choice but to wait it out.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
dermottusmc

Post by dermottusmc »

Thanks for the answer, I brewed a robust porter last weekend 1.064 double british ale yeast,used evoo too the same process it fermented the usual for me . Settled after 4 days of blow off. Had planned to bottle the basic and use that carboy for my secondary this weekend :? for the porter and adding a bourbon vanilla mix to it. I am out of carboys.