Light fermentation in the secondary - when to bottle/keg

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

bigbirdga

Light fermentation in the secondary - when to bottle/keg

Post by bigbirdga »

I have a wheat beer in the secondary (see SuperWheat recipe in library) that should be close to ready to mini-keg, but there are still pinpoint bubbles rising and a 1/4 inch light foam ring at the top. Brewed 6/16 OG 1.058, racked 6/27 SG 1.009 (yep) with absolutely no activity. The only addition to the secondary was 1 Tbs of dried orange peel boiled in 1 cup water and cooled. SG is still 1.009, but the tiny bubbles are still rising after 11 days. Since I am using mini-kegs, the priming rate is lower than bottles, but you can still ruin the keg (I know from experience) or worse if the carbonation is high. Current plan is to give it 3 more days, recheck SG and keg if no further reduction. I'll probably cut back some on the priming sugar if the activity is still there. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
slothrob

Late Bubbles

Post by slothrob »

Is it possible that the beer has been warming up, perhaps if the weather has been getting hot? That can drive a little of the dissolved CO2 out of solution and mimic yeast activity, if the gravity isn't changing.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
bigbirdga

Late Bubbles

Post by bigbirdga »

Thanks, Slothrob. That is a possibility, but I ferment and condition in my finished, heated/cooled basement where the temperature is a pretty constant 70-72 F. The bubble flow, although light, has been continuous for over a week and does not appear to fluctuate. I guess I am pretty safe mini-kegging if the SG does not drop anymore and I under prime because I can always throw CO2 on it in the mini.