over pitched yeast in hottish wort

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

danbrew11
Light Lager
Light Lager

over pitched yeast in hottish wort

Post by danbrew11 »

ok, so i made a rendition of an "irish red ale" the other day... I accidently pitched twice as much yeast as i needed to and pitched it while the wort was about 100 degrees. i tryed using a stick on thermometer on the fermenter and i guess i wasn't patient enough with it. it was getting late and i was getting tired. anyways that was dumb on my part and i'll pay more attention next time. Now to my concern... the next day i woke up to see a very aggressive fermentation, but thats not what i was worried about. there appears to me a bready paste on top of the normal white foam, and it's dropping out and floating all over the place. So i was wondering if that is the effect of my mistakes and if i could clear it up with gelatin before priming.
'Holy Santa Claus !@#$"
slothrob

Warm wort

Post by slothrob »

That description sounds pretty normal to me. Is this a different yeast strain than you usually use? Some yeasts top-crop and clump more than others.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
danbrew11
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by danbrew11 »

Yeah, it's a different yeast strain. i have used Nottingham ale yeast before, this time i used Safale-05. Yeah i figured it wasn't anything to be worried about, but given that i made two mistakes that could change the outcome of the beer, i started to think about it too much. I have never seen that kind of froth before, cause it seems to be floating on top even when the white froth is calming down.
'Holy Santa Claus !@#$"
slothrob

yeast

Post by slothrob »

Sometimes the krausen will stay on top after the beer is finished. It will almost always drop eventually.

How much yeast did you pitch into how much beer?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
danbrew11
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by danbrew11 »

well i brewed alittle over 2 gallons, and pitch about a table spoon of yeast in there. i usually use a dinner spoon which is about 1/2 a table spoon and is what i was suppose to pitch for 2 gallons. but considering that some of the yeast could have been killed from temperature shock, it was probably a good thing i accidently over pitched. it is settled down nicely now, most of the krausen is falling out and appears to be cleaning up well. It's going on 4 days of fermentation.
'Holy Santa Claus !@#$"