Rye anyone?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Which Rye Beer is your favorite?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Founders Red Rye PA
No votes
Summit India Style Rye Ale
No votes
Rye of the Tiger
No votes
Rye-on-Rye
No votes
Righteous Ale
No votes
RyePA
No votes
The Costanza
No votes
Uh... something else, dude.
100%
Rye? Eww, no thanks.
No votes

Total votes: 1

Bazinfan

Rye anyone?

Post by Bazinfan »

Hello, everyone,

Spring is in the air and everyone is scheduling their Heff brew days and their Bock brew days... but, as usual, hardly any attention goes to the poor, neglected rye (in my circles, anyway).

So I'm looking for a great recipe (preferably extract, but I can handle a partial mash). Anyone try anything amazing or just worth sharing?

Pour out some love for the rye beer!
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Those examples you cited all look like commercial examples, none of which I've tasted so I chose "something else". The rye beer I have in mind is one I made last fall and in fact is in the que to brew again in a couple of weeks. It's called AP Rye beer, and you can find the recipe on Beertools.com. I know you would prefer a partial mash and this recipe is AG, but AG really isn't any more difficult than a partial mash, so go for it.

There are a couple of things I changed in the original recipe I should tell you about. First, with all that rye and wheat malt the mash is really thick so I added some rice hulls. I only had about 1/2 pound on hand and still had hard time with the lauter, so next time I'm going to use a pound. The second thing is personal preference and is at your discretion. The original recipe calls for Hefeweizen yeast. I don't like Hefeweizen, so I substituted WY1007 German Ale yeast. The result was really tasty. So give this recipe a try. If you have trouble finding it on the web site just let me know and I'll post it here.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
Bazinfan

Thanks, CB!

Post by Bazinfan »

I did find your recipe on BeerTools.

Thanks for the encouragement... I suppose it's time to start getting into AG, though I might try converting your recipe into an extract + mini-mash at first. I'm really interested in the results you got with that German Ale yeast (I'm not a huge Hefeweizen fan, either).

Thanks again for posting a reply! I'm all out obsessed with rye right now (never saw it coming; before I started brewing I never really paid much attention to rye beers) and I'm aiming to brew as many recipes as I can in an effort to satisfy my rye-lust.

Cheers!
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I figured that since you're capable of doing a partial mash it's only a matter of time until you take the plunge into to AG. It seems like the natural progression for most brewers. The limiting factor seems to be the size of the mash tun.

I'm not sure about converting to an extract or partial mash version of the recipe. I think the problem you'll have is finding a source for rye malt extract. I did a quick Google search and came up empty. Since the recipe is 53% rye malt you're probably stuck with doing AG unless you can find some extract. And like I said in my previous post, if you try the AG version of this recipe do yourself a favor and use plenty of rice hulls. All that rye makes the run off thick and slow and you don't want a stuck sparge. Good luck!
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
milligan101

rye ipa

Post by milligan101 »

I like both the Founders red and the ryepa. Planning to brew a rye ipa next saturday. Still fiddling with the recipe. Any tips beyond beyond the ratios of rye to other base malts? thinking about a hops; citrussy or spicy? Thoughts?????
slothrob

Re: rye ipa

Post by slothrob »

milligan101 wrote:I like both the Founders red and the ryepa. Planning to brew a rye ipa next saturday. Still fiddling with the recipe. Any tips beyond beyond the ratios of rye to other base malts? thinking about a hops; citrussy or spicy? Thoughts?????
I think Founders Rye uses Amarillo. One famous homebrew recipes is Denny's Rye IPA, which uses a mix of Columbus and Mt. Hood. Denny says he tried a lot of combinations until he found one that worked best with the Rye Malt, in his estimation, and it has been quite popular among those that have brewed it.

The big issue with rye is that it makes for a gummy mash. Having a good crush, with a lot of intact husks will help the lauter through the rye. If you ever come close to a slow or stuck run-off, you might want to buy some rice hulls or try malt conditioning, if you grind your own grain.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP