Early Cold Snap in the NW

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Early Cold Snap in the NW

Postby beerdog » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:26 am

I have been playing with the idea of building a warmer for my 5 gallon glass fermenter. I saw reptile tape at the pet store, It keeps snake aquariums warm. I dont have a lot of room and thought of building a box that my fermenter would fit into and use a couple strips of this tape with a plug in thermostat. Has anybody done this or seen it done before. Any other ideas?Thanks Steve.
beerdog

Postby slothrob » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:35 pm

I've heard of people doing similar things with drugstore heating pads, aquarium heaters in a jar of water, ceramic reptile heaters, and even hair dryers.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Under tank Aquarium heater

Postby Benjamin1c » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:26 pm

I've had similar ideas, but for an under tank aquarium heater designed for an aquarium rather than for reptiles, since these supposedly automatically regulate the temperature of a fluid. Check out this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-Aqua ... B0006JLPFE

This product, if you can view it, is supposed to work for 2 to 5 gallons tanks... maybe could work for 5 gallon carboy??

Lol, in any case, if you try such an experiment with this or any kind of heater, let us now, I'm curious to know if they actually work.
Benjamin1c
Light Lager
Light Lager

Return to Equipment