Porter Critique

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Porter Critique

Postby mablaze » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi All, this is my first recipe I decided to concoct after downloading BeerTools.. however, being new to recipe formulation, I could use some tips...

Porter
----------------
5.5lb Dark DME
.75lb Crystal malt 120L
.5 lb Belgian Biscuit
.25lb Belgian Chocolate Malt
.25lb Victory Malt
1.5oz East Kent Goldings (60 mins)
1oz Fuggles (Flameout)
WLP017 Whitbread Ale yeast

I'm trying to go for a "bready" and roasted type porter.. Any tips/points/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark
mablaze

Postby bobcat_brewer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Biggest tip is to use light DME and steep your specialty grains to achieve the colors and flavors you want. You don't know what grains were used to create that dark DME, so you have no way of knowing what flavors you're going to get.
bobcat_brewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby jawbox » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:09 pm

Thats sound advice.
PowerMac G4 933 Mhz, 1GB Ram, 17" Studio Display, Mac OSX 10.3.9
MacBook 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.6.2
IMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.6.2
IPhone 5
IPad 2
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

porter

Postby spgriffin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:24 pm

I agree with using Light DME. You have far better control over the end product. Also balancing biscuit and roasted is difficult, but not impossible. You may want to stay away from darker caramel malts as they may impart a more raisiny taste which will not help the bread to roasted flavor. I agree with using Victory and you may want to use up to 10% and using small amount of chocoalte with either Black Malt or Carafa II.

Biscuit flavors are also pointless if you over hop/bitter the beer -you wil not detect it if you bitter it too much. go for more noble English or some non-citrus American hops. Some German hops are good too for this.
Keg 1: Rye stout
Keg 2: Irish honey red
spgriffin
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Return to Ingredients, Kits & Recipes