Large amounts of sugar

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Large amounts of sugar

Post by river water brewing »

Hello, well i hate to admit it but i am caving to my wife's request to brew her a Miller Lite / Coors Lite style beer. below is my recipe and below that are some questions

http://www.screencast.com/users/joshgib ... cbc5c32a79

has any one tried a recipe like this?

due the amount complex sugars is there any special procedures i should do?

should i add all the sugars at the end of the boil or should i add them during fermentation? i have heard that to many easily ferment-able sugars can cause the yeast to focus on them first and then be to "lazy" to ferment the maltose???

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
JG
Just trying to find the perfect batch!!!
slothrob

sugar

Post by slothrob »

I've never made a recipe quite like that, but when I've added sugar to beer in the past I've added the sugar to the primary after fermentation has slowed from it's peak.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Thanks so much!!

Thanks slothrob!!! Trust me if it were not for the fact i want my wife to say emmmmm when she drinks one of my beers i would not even be considering a recipe like this.

would you do the same with the corn sugar and rice extract? boil them all in a gallon of water and then add as fermentation slows? or would you do that with only the cane sugar?

Thanks!!
JG
conman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Recipe....

Post by conman »

although, this beer is decidedly not as "light" as the one you have proposed, I think you would find it (without the saaz dryhopping) to be a very good beer that your wife and everyone else that likes lighter beers will enjoy.

Alabama Classic Pil's
2-C Classic American Pilsner
Author: DW
Date: 1/22/2010

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 69.0%
Attenuation: 75.1%
Calories: 173.75 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.052 (1.044 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 3.49 (3.0 - 6.0)
Alcohol: 5.14% (4.5% - 6.0%)
Bitterness: 34.1 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
8.5 lb Pilsner Malt
2.5 lb Yellow Corn (Pregelatinized Flakes)
1.0 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Mt. Hood (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
1.0 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 oz Mt. Hood (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.5 oz Saaz (5.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea WYeast 2272 North American Lager

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 mash in - Liquor: 3.44 gal; Strike: 160.13 °F; Target: 148.0 °F
01:03:00 sacc rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 147.2 °F
01:33:00 sparge - Sparge Volume: 5.5 gal; Sparge Temperature: 180.0 °F; Runoff: 5.53 gal

Notes
hit the 148 mash in and reached 1.052 OG, .005 off

transferred 2/7/2010 down to 1.012 og and added 1.5oz of us chez saaz hops to secondary fermenter.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.10
Homebrewing since 1998!
slothrob

Re: Thanks so much!!

Post by slothrob »

river water brewing wrote: would you do the same with the corn sugar and rice extract? boil them all in a gallon of water and then add as fermentation slows? or would you do that with only the cane sugar?
Yes, I think I would bring all the sugar to a boil.

I have had excellent beers made with pouring even dry sugar directly into the fermentor, but I'd prefer the security of bringing them to a boil first.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Thanks and Thanks!!!

thanks so much for the recipe!! it may be too "flavorful" (my wife's term for beer she does not like) as it has about double the malt i use, my hope was to use a mix of sugars to give some abv as well as body without too much flavor, sounds so bad doesn't it!!

Thanks slothrob, that's my plan, mash and boil grans then add all sugars just after high krousen.
JG
slothrob

low flavor beer

Post by slothrob »

That seems like a lot of hops for a beer made for someone who doesn't like beer with flavor. Have you considered just the bittering hop addition? Or perhaps just the bittering and one late addition, perhaps something mild like Saaz at ~5 minutes or flameout?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

IBU's?

slothrob, this recipe has 9 IBU's? and only 2 half oz hop additions (for a 14 gal batch) one at 60 min and the other at 20 min. you still think this is high?
JG
slothrob

light beer

Post by slothrob »

Sorry, I was looking at conman's recipe above, which is closer to 35 IBU and has a lot of flavor additions.

Your recipe should be pretty light in hop flavor.

There's no need for the 6-row, since you aren't using any adjuncts, so you could drop that for all Pisner Malt, which has a less harsh flavor.

Wow, 14 gallon! That's a lot of this to have around if it ends up tasting like dirty seltzer water. 1.030 is lower than I've ever gone with an OG before. I'd think that all Pilsner Malt (i.e., no sugar) would be very mildly flavored at that OG. I suppose it's a pretty cheap experiment, though.

Good luck!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification!! Ya i was concerned about the low OG as well, heck without the sugar additions its only 1024 LOL

Having 14 gal (turns into 12 after dead space in my kettle) of this stuff was a concern but i hate looking back and wishing i had brewed more. this may be a years supply LOL but at least this way i can go back to brewing my Imperial IPAs and keep the wife happy with her beer.

Thanks again for the help!!
JG
slothrob

Re: Thanks

Post by slothrob »

river water brewing wrote:this may be a years supply LOL but at least this way i can go back to brewing my Imperial IPAs and keep the wife happy with her beer.
That's assuming she likes the way this tastes.

You have more confidence than I would have brewing such an extreme beer for the first time.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP