Linux users, which do you prefer? .deb, .rpm or .tgz?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.

Which do you prefer?

.deb
69%
.rpm
17%
.tgz
14%

Total votes: 29

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Linux users, which do you prefer? .deb, .rpm or .tgz?

Post by jeff »

The Linux version of BeerTools Pro still has an issue with drag and drop and it seems that this problem is here to stay. There is a workaround that involves using the RMB. For many users this is completely acceptable and I am considering an official release of BeerTools Pro for Linux.

For those of you interested in the Linux distribution, what type of package file do you prefer? If you are an existing BTP user, are you willing to test and provide feedback on your experience installing the BTP package?

Thanks!
Last edited by jeff on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

BTP Linux depends on your response to this poll.

Post by jeff »

Dear Linux users:

The official release of the Linux version of BeerTools Pro is largely dependent on market interest. If any of you are seriously interested in seeing BeerTools Pro Linux released, please make this known by responding to this poll or replying to this topic. In order to devote additional time and resources to the development of BTP for Linux I need to sense a demand for the product.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
blindguardian
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by blindguardian »

I would love to see a Linux version of the program.

I would also be willing to be a tester for it as I do use Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) as my main operating system. Also on top of that I am studying to be a programmer working on my BS degree in the field.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

blindguardian wrote:I would love to see a Linux version of the program.

I would also be willing to be a tester for it as I do use Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) as my main operating system. Also on top of that I am studying to be a programmer working on my BS degree in the field.
I placed the BTP Linux .deb in your download list. Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
blindguardian
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by blindguardian »

Thanks Jeff,

This is what I have came across so far:
In the Heat Source Editor
The Vessel Heat Capacity (Drop Down Menu) is not working... it will not allow you to select a vessel.

The install went good no problems there. I just thought it was kind of weird that it would install in the Science menu under the Applications.

Every time I add a mash step this is what happens:

Also in the Vessel Editor the wording is not lined up under the Calibration:

One other thing the mash volumes seem to be off.

I hope these images work lol[/img]
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Screenshots

Post by jeff »

Thanks for the screenshots! I am running the same system and many of these are known issues. The style graphs showing in other tabs when changing popup menus has already been fixed in 1.5.10 (will be uploaded soon). The incorrect "right" alignment of multiline labels is a bug in the compiler itself so these will have to wait; although I can improve the overlap problem. As for the incorrect mash volumes, I would have to load the recipe file itself to see where the problem is.

Thanks again!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

BTP Application Category

Post by jeff »

blindguardian wrote:The install went good no problems there. I just thought it was kind of weird that it would install in the Science menu under the Applications.
Where do you recommend it be placed? Under "Office" or "Education"?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
blindguardian
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by blindguardian »

Hello Jeff,
In the Science menu is a fine place to have it install to, now that I think about it making beer is kind of a science :).
So far other than the few things I have come across every thing seems to be running good even though I only had a short time to test it out. I will play around with it some more today or tonight and get back with you.

Thanks
Jerry
blindguardian
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by blindguardian »

I have had some time tonight to enter a few recipes in to the program. There is one thing though I have entered several of test recipes and now that I do not need them I can not delete them. It gives me the confirmation dialog box making sure I would like to delete the recipe but when I choose Ok the recipe will not delete so I tried to go to Edit>Delete and it is grayed out so I am also not able to delete them that way. Is there a work around for this?

I also tested the import and it works great.

I will be testing a recipe this coming weekend (I hope) with a scheduled brew I have....if everything go good on my end lol. I will compare the numbers with BTP on my Mac. to see how they match up.

thanks,
Jerry
blindguardian
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by blindguardian »

Ok I found a work around for deleting recipes.

this is what I did....

step 1. I went into the BeerTools Pro library Recipes file (in my home directory ie. somename>BeerTools Pro>Library>Recipes) and deleted the recipe file.

step 2. I then went into beertools and selected the same recipe (as it will still show up) then I clicked the delete icon then clicked Ok and this removed it from the Recipes folder.
npurciful

Post by npurciful »

I just voted for deb. Jeff I am glad to see there is a version in the works. Thats GREAT as I use windows only for BTP and Kubuntu 10.04 for everything else. I would be willing to test and give feedback.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

.deb Download

Post by jeff »

npurciful wrote:I just voted for deb. Jeff I am glad to see there is a version in the works. Thats GREAT as I use windows only for BTP and Kubuntu 10.04 for everything else. I would be willing to test and give feedback.
I put the .deb download in your downloads. Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
npurciful

Post by npurciful »

Thanks Jeff,

For some reason I wasnt able to reproduce the applnk was set to "/opt/StudioXYZ/BeerToolsPro-1.5/BeerTools\Pro" after removing ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu and running kbuildsycoca4 every thing was fine. Recipe deletion works fine removed from db and disk. All in all things are looking good, more testing to be done.

blindguardian, Vessel Heat Capacity does work but you have to have a vessel in your recipe.
blindguardian
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by blindguardian »

npurciful,

Yea I figured that part out thanks lol
npurciful

Post by npurciful »

Also noted that the Sparge Editor with multiple items on it is the wrong size when opened you can click + or - to get it to resize but it also add or substracts items. When loading a recipe the temp graph gets stuck under the style graph not when adding mash steps. Print doesnt work no kde print dialog.

Its great to be able work on a recipe on my main computer :D