Which Database file is the critical one for backup?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
tgioiosa
Light Lager
Light Lager

Which Database file is the critical one for backup?

Post by tgioiosa »

I have been using BTP for a few years now, and want to clean up my folder structure on my hard drive.
I find that I still have a folder left over from BTP older than v1.5 named C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro. I want to delete that folder and all contents. Is that safe to do?

I also have a folder named C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro 1.5 where the latest versions have installed since v1.5 came out.

In the user guide it says all assets are stored under the folder called C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\BeerTools Pro. In that folder is a file called BeerTools Pro Library.rsd.
Is this my active database file?

I'm not sure because in C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro 1.5 folder there are two other database files called Data.rsd and Data0300.rsd along with BeerTools Pro.exe .

I just updated to v1.5.8 and both the C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\BeerTools Pro\BeerTools Pro Library.rsd and
the C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro 1.5\Data.rsd have the current date as of the v1.5.8 update.

What I want to know which one is the important file that has all my recipes, vessels, ingredients, etc., and why are there so many different copies of this .rsd file all over the place.
Can I get rid of most of them and clean up my folders?
All Grain Brewer since 2002
System: Windows XP SP2, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual Core @ 2.41GHz - 2GB Ram - Two 20" Samsung 204B 1280 x 1024 LCD displays, GeForce XT6800 graphics, 2100GB total hard drives
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Which Database file is the critical one for backup?

Post by jeff »

tgioiosa wrote:I have been using BTP for a few years now, and want to clean up my folder structure on my hard drive.
I find that I still have a folder left over from BTP older than v1.5 named C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro. I want to delete that folder and all contents. Is that safe to do?

I also have a folder named C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro 1.5 where the latest versions have installed since v1.5 came out.

In the user guide it says all assets are stored under the folder called C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\BeerTools Pro. In that folder is a file called BeerTools Pro Library.rsd.
Is this my active database file?

I'm not sure because in C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro 1.5 folder there are two other database files called Data.rsd and Data0300.rsd along with BeerTools Pro.exe .

I just updated to v1.5.8 and both the C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\BeerTools Pro\BeerTools Pro Library.rsd and
the C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro 1.5\Data.rsd have the current date as of the v1.5.8 update.

What I want to know which one is the important file that has all my recipes, vessels, ingredients, etc., and why are there so many different copies of this .rsd file all over the place.
Can I get rid of most of them and clean up my folders?
Whenever making significant changes to your files, I always recommend that you have plan in place to revert back to where you started if things go wrong. Maintaining backups of deleted files is probably the most common method.

That said, C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro is likely version 1.0.x of BTP and can be removed if you no longer use that version. It sounds like C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro 1.5 is where you have the latest version installed. This is the default folder location for version 1.5.x.

C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro 1.5\Data.rsd is the master database file and is required for BeerTools Pro to run. C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro 1.5\Data0300.rsd is not used and should not even be there.

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\BeerTools Pro\BeerTools Pro Library.rsd is the local database file and contains all of your personal data as well as a duplicate copy of the data from C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro 1.5\Data.rsd. If this file is not found by BeerTools Pro, it will create a new once based on C:\Program Files\BeerTools Pro 1.5\Data.rsd. Obviously, C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\BeerTools Pro\BeerTools Pro Library.rsd is critical and must be saved if you want to preserve your personal data. It is paired with the Recipes folder found in the same parent folder so it should be backed up congruent with all your recipes.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
tgioiosa
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by tgioiosa »

Thanks, I think I know what to do now!
All Grain Brewer since 2002
System: Windows XP SP2, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual Core @ 2.41GHz - 2GB Ram - Two 20" Samsung 204B 1280 x 1024 LCD displays, GeForce XT6800 graphics, 2100GB total hard drives