Bottle Necks Break on Opening

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Phoenix1

Bottle Necks Break on Opening

Post by Phoenix1 »

I am a new brewer. After a successful batch or two, I have started to break the bottle necks on opening. Last night, I served some new wheat beer I made. Four of the bottles broke off just below the cap when I tried to open them.

I used the same bottle opener I have used for decades. I tried a different opener, but one of the four broke with this alternate opener.

I use the usual red handled plastic capper that came with my Brewer's Best kit. I recall using even pressure on both handles when bottling. There are no clear instructions supplied saying exactly how capping should be performed, but there does not look like there is any magic to it. I press down and there appears to be a "first stage" of crimping. Then I apply a bit of additional extra pressure, and there feels like a slight "second stage" of crimping, where the handles go down just a little bit more.

These are all new bottles. I had none of theses problems in two cases with my first batch. The problem is with this second batch.

Bad bottles?

Bad technique?

Any help would be appreciated.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Caps?

Post by brewmeisterintng »

You didn't say if you have reciently switched caps. If they are the same... then by default it is the bottle. Another reason to keg... :lol:
Just kidding. Not sure where you got the bottles/ type but back when I bottled, Coronas were really good as they are thick walled. You just have to ensure that you beer doesn't get light struck as the glass is clear.
Good luck.
Phoenix1

Post by Phoenix1 »

Thanks for the reply.

As a beginner, I decided to just buy unused bottles by the case. Since starting, I now have about 20 cases, and I'll probably stop there. Of those, I've only nipped into about 4 of those cases. The rest are in process or waiting to be filled. I am now fairly certain that one of these cases is the culprit. Whether they are all bad/weak I don't know, but I plan to mark those that do survive from this case with a small nail polish mark on the bottom. If this happens too often, I'll just trash the rest of the case. Losing all that beer is alcohol abuse!

Caps, I think, come from the same manufacturer. Unfortunately, I buy my supplies from two different beer supply places here in town, so I can't be certain. They sure look the same, but that's no real gauge.

The problem case comes from supplier A. I mentioned it to supplier B yesterday, and he said in 25 years of brewing he's never encountered a broken bottle neck, much less four in one night. Bad bottles, he's pretty sure. (I didn't tell him where I got them.)

I do plan to mention it to supplier A, just in case this had happened to others.

I'm just hoping I don't have another bad batch somewhere in my waiting-to-be-drunk cases.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

EZ Caps

Post by brewmeisterintng »

aka flippies. I bought a few dozen when I was still bottling. Great bottles. They are 16 oz and a thick solid product. Again, buy the brown as it blocks UV.
Just my two cents.
Phoenix1

Post by Phoenix1 »

Love the idea; not crazy about the price.

I opened two more of the suspect bottles tonight with no problems. About 16 bottles and counting.