oxyclean??

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

timbah
Light Lager
Light Lager

oxyclean??

Post by timbah »

anyone ever hear of using oxyclean instead of pbw for keg cleaning
oatmeal chocolate sweet stout sounds good
slothrob

oxyclean

Post by slothrob »

I think Oxyclean is widely used among homebrewers for general brewery cleaning. It doesn't work quite as well as PBW, but it works well. The primary ingredient in Oxyclean is the same as one of the two primary ingredients in PBW. Oxyclean even has a certain amount of sanitizing activity, so it should reduce the bioload that your no-rinse sanitizer has to deal with.

I've read that one issue with Oxyclean is that it isn't approved for food contact. This is probably a matter of not doing the required testing, since this isn't one of the expected uses of the product. I also assume that it all rinses away, but I don't know that this is the case.

For tough cleaning in my brewery I mix Oxyclean with TSP Substitute, which comes closer to PBW. PBW is a great product, though, and I mostly use these alternatives because I always have them around the house.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I used to use it. But I've been much happier with PBW.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
slothrob

PBW

Post by slothrob »

jawbox wrote:I used to use it. But I've been much happier with PBW.
Yeah, PBW does a great job, and has been noticeably better for me on stubborn gunk than Oxyclean.

The other thing that works well for me on tough stuff is some coffee pot cleaner of which I was given a bunch of free samples. At some point I checked and it was similar chemically to PBW.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP