Recipe Help

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

kjfst11

Recipe Help

Post by kjfst11 »

Ok, I'm looking for a little help here...I made this recipe last year, and have since stepped up to all-grain brewing. However, I never gave alot of thought to converting my old extract recipes to all grain. So basically, what I'm asking for here is, what type/types of malt should I substitute for the DME in this recipe to come up with a fairly similar profile? Also, if there's a simple rule-of-thumb for converting DME of liquid ME, I'd love to hear it. I really enjoyed this brew, and would like to take it a step further:

5 lbs light DME
1/2 lb 40L crystal malt
1/8 lb black patent malt
2 oz Cascade hops (60 min)
1/2 oz Fuggles (2 min)
1 lb honey
1/2 oz grated ginger root
1 tsp fresh cinnamon
1 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 oz sweet orange peel
1/2 tsp irish moss
white labs california ale liquid yeast

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

DME to grain

Post by jayhawk »

There is a formula for converting DME and LME to grain. I don't have it on hand. As for what malt to use, my HBS, which has great recipes, switches ME (light or pale) straight across for Gambrinus 2-row pale malt.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

try this

Post by Gravity Thrills »

DME to liquid extract syrup is easy
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

I'll just run this up the flagpole

Post by Monkey Man »

The convention is 3lbs grain to 2 lbs DME, but I have a thought. How about trying a little test. Take one pound of the DME you've been using for the recipe. Add one gallon of water and boil it for an hour- basically make a small batch. That should give you the gravity per pound DME per gallon of water(maybe less due to boiloff). Then use your mash efficiency- assuming you know it to calculate how much grain you need. Of course that implies you know how much yeild you should get from your grains. So maybe conducting a mini-mash to establish your baseline would be a good idea. Then use that to figure out how much.
kjfst11

Thanks!

Post by kjfst11 »

Awesome everybody, thanks so much for the advice. I had sorta figured 2-row pale would be the way to go, but I thought it better to ask around. Check back with me in about 5 weeks and I'll let you know how everything turned out! ;)