Wit report

What is happening in the world of brewing? Competitions, festivals, seminars, tastings and club events. Personal experiences and victories.

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wit report

Post by Freon12 »

The beertools inspired recipe for wit is in the primary.(If it is drinkable, I'll call it "Wit way did it go?")

The mash---
I Chose a single infusion mash and overshot my strike tempreture that caused me to add 1 gal of water and end up with a watery 1.5qts per # mash at 155f.

3/4 oz of each corriander and orange peel were added to the mash and an additional 1/4oz of each added at 5min left in the boil.
Gee, I hope that's enough.

Grist and hops---

I used oat flakes and acidulated malt (1/2# each) to try for that Flemish sour taste.
This beer is almost 50/50 pale malt and white wheat with pale at 4.5# and wheat at 3.5# setting it up to do well with "Hefe" type flavor yeasts. I chose fuggle hops for both hop additions because they seem to fit well with wheat and fruit beer.
I used 3944 yeast in the form of a 2liter starter and softer than average water. 1.049 is the O.G. #.
I'll report back in 2 weeks with attenuation progress.

This reporter signing off.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wassup wit your bad self?!

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Freon strikes while the iron is hot -- well done!

I just moved a couple of carboys worth of beer into kegs so I will be following in your wity footsteps in a couple of weeks.

Your spice levels sound nicely assertive - I think I'll match your corriander and probably go for 3/4 of your bitter orange.

Did you use raw or flaked wheat, and did you have a manageable sparge? I planned on using flakes and a short protein rest, mostly so I didn't end up with a mash tun full of glue. What temp are you fermenting at?

Did you bother with copper finings in this wonderfully cloudy brew? I'm still leaning toward getting a good cold break with a dose of mung (aka, Irish moss, Chondrus crispus, etc. etc., for the phycologically-minded -- my doctoral work revolved around algae, so I love the fact that it's an everyday part of my hobby life, too!), but maybe there's no point?

(If Lathe reads this, I wish I could underline or italicise a Genus/species properly in a post, but I guess that's a minor issue...)

Keep us posted.

NUNC BIBENDUM EST
(Now it's time to drink)
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Details, details.

Post by Freon12 »

That is why I Left Purdue.

Anyway, I used a very fine crush and did not have any sparge problems. I used flaked oats as to speed the mash at 155f for 50min.
It was done sooner, but I thought it best to make sure due to adjuncts. A protien rest would be a good idea, but I went for the cloudy side.

I did not use any "seaweed" and still had tremendous cold break. The hot break was very clear! I think may be due to the high protien content.
The wort is a very light applebutter color and now has a two inch Krausen with the dirty spots a butterscotch color and the foam dirty white.(very different). The expelling gas smells wonderful.
The fermentation tempreture is 74f +/- 2f.(I am also going for that banana background.)

Cheers
Freon12

Bye the bye, I should be sampling before your fermentation is complete, Should I wait to report as to not give any rub?
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Inquiring minds...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

No, please give all the gory details as the story unfolds. I have committed down the Great Wit Way but will probably tweak ideas right up until brew day, so any input - the good, the bad, the yummy -will be carefully weighed.

Cheers,
Jim