Strike Temperature Off By 5-6 degrees

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
BrewBlender

Strike Temperature Off By 5-6 degrees

Post by BrewBlender »

Hello--

I'm still learning this amazing program and had a question about strike temperature.

I've noticed with mashing in, my particular system and set up has made it so I have to use a strike temperature 5-6 degrees higher than what BeerTools suggests. So for example, for a target temp of 149F, BeerTools directs me to use strike water that is approximately 162F (depending on the water/grist ratio). However, to hit this temp, I must use a strike water temp that is 167-168F. I also use a drill mash stir gadget I bought at the homebrew shop to help equalize the temp. This might account for lose of some heat as the cooler I am using is open for 5 minutes as I am stiring the mash. But since this is the system I use, this is what works for me. So...

Is there anywhere that I can make it so BeerTools takes this off-set into account? Is this where adding equipment info comes into play?

Any info is appreciated.
Cheers!
Josh
Josh
Potland, OR
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

yes you need to add equipment. You also need to utilize a heating vessel in the mash in. If you don't select one BTP assumes that the mash tun is direct fired and doesn't loose any heat.

Once you've calibrated your equipment you'll have to tweak the heat xfer and heat capacity to match real world results.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Bobby_M
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bobby_M »

http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6093

Try that post with the two videos that will help you out.
Bobby_M on Homebrewtalk.com
HP DV9200 Laptop, Intel T5500, 2 Gig RAM, Windows Vista, 17" widescreen display at 1440 x 900 and 32 colors.

my youtube vids: www.youtube.com/bobbyfromnj
BrewBlender

Post by BrewBlender »

Great videos...Thanks!
Josh
Potland, OR
erykmynn

Post by erykmynn »

jawbox wrote: Once you've calibrated your equipment you'll have to tweak the heat xfer and heat capacity to match real world results.
Any tips on doing this? I have a 10 gal rubbermaid and got in way over my head trying to do a multiple-infusion mash without being properly calibrated.

I've since done a calibration, but I know my numbers are quite a bit off still for the mash tun.

Also I'm wondering for my kettles. Lid on or off? Since they're normally used for heating and not holding, I guess off. Or should it be on still so I don't get thrown by heat easily escaping upward?

BobbyM, Thanks for the videos, I think they are a help (and just to have someone showing that this stuff works once set up).
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

erykmynn wrote:Also I'm wondering for my kettles. Lid on or off? Since they're normally used for heating and not holding, I guess off. Or should it be on still so I don't get thrown by heat easily escaping upward?
I would say try it both ways and maintain two profiles for the vessel (i.e. Boil Kettle Open, Boil Kettle Covered). You can choose the one most appropriate for each step in which the vessel is used.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff