Wanting to share, some experiences

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

mattmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Wanting to share, some experiences

Post by mattmike »

I really do respect the beer kits that are being sold, not Mr. Ber, but the brands like cooper's and some local brewers produce their own kits. I like them because they are easy and almost fool proof that can make a very good tasting brew.
I do see them there at the store and most the time always the same place on the shelf they were the last time and the time before. SO it seems my local brewer population is mainly into all grain. The all grain gets high recomendations here on this forum and by all who I know that talk about brewing.
Now even thought these kits have helped me get started I feel that I may never purchase a kit again, now that I have been doing all grain for a few months now. I still would like to support/ recognize their contributions to the industry and would tell any new brewer to begin with these kits.
Now, I have a peculiar reason for my all grain brews and I do not ever want to get bored of brewing or become an alcoholic as a result of being able to create as much whenever I feel like . Responsible brewer should be a responsible drinker, so I set myself some guidlines which are pretty tough to go by, and here it goes:
mattmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

guideline

Post by mattmike »

When brew is set in primary I save the mash in air tight tupperware. Usually about 10 lbs. of soggy mash and put it in my freezer. WHy ? because the !@#$ is good to eat. All them grains like wheat, rice, oats, barley and whatever all mixed up is like really great and healthy. Or so I believe it has got to be healthy, I know it is filling and would be an excessive waste of well paid edible food. This way I only have so much room in m freezer to store it all and want to eat it all to make room for the next batch. Then I enjoy the beer more because I know not to drink it all. But usually am on a rotation where I would be drinking the first beer and eating the mash from the beer in my primary so as not to be entirely sick of one flavor at a time.

Any comments or tips on eating mash ?
I like maple syrup and butter, or put sizzling bacon on top.