Fermenting with yeast in the secondary

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Fermenting with yeast in the secondary

Post by jayhawk »

I am enjoying the Wyeast British ale, and want to keep the cycle going. Are there any reasons why I shouldn't add new wort directly on to the yeast cake in my secondary? It seems like this would be the most effecient way to go...no washing, no starter etc...
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Go Right Ahead

Post by BillyBock »

Alot of folks do just that. Expect an explosive ferment, and you may consider using a blowoff tube. I've used British Ale II--liked it alot, formed a nice compact sediment.
Liquid Blur
Light Lager
Light Lager

Just a quick question

Post by Liquid Blur »

When you say you're going to add it to the yeast cake in the secondary. Are you refering to the yeast that's settled out of the wort? Sorry. Ignorant newbie. Could you do this in the primary or would the excessive amounts of trub cause off flavors? Thanks
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Yeast Cakes

Post by BillyBock »

Once you've racked to the secondary, you pretty much have a solid yeast cake free of particulates and gunk. I personally would avoid using the yeast cake in the primary due to the hop residue, trub, etc. I would also try and remove as much of the beer as possible from the secondary so there's not much affect on the color or flavor of your new beer. I imagine the trub in the primary would cause off flavors if you racked into the primary's yeast cake. Maybe someone out there knows for sure?
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Quick answer

Post by jayhawk »

Yes, I am referring to the yeast that settled out (flocculated) after secondary fermentation. In regards to whether doing this with the primary is a good idea, it seems that adding to the primary would be more risky. But don't take it from me, read the discussion between Azorean and Mesa from August 21, starting w/ "cutting the cost of your liquid yeast by a third".
PS, don't feel bad about asking questions. I am new at this too but I have learned tons by asking for clarification when I didn't understand something. This site is single handedly responsible for taking from extract to all grain in under one year.
Liquid Blur
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks

Post by Liquid Blur »

Thanks guys sounds like that is a great way to save money. :) Can't wait for all grain :)
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Primary if Same Style

Post by l48shark »

I have made and remade the same recipe one batch after the other and reused the yeast slurry in the primary with excellent results. I could not believe how fast the wort fermented. ;)
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

repeatable

Post by Freon12 »

How close are the beers you make in this way? Are thye very close or is there slight taste variations?

Just curious.
Steve.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

The Same

Post by l48shark »

I do not notice any difference. Note that I use a secondary fermenter. The primary fermentation is so quick that I suppose whatever trub, etc. does not have a chance to contribute and detectable off-flavors before I rack to the secondary. I wish WYeast would sell big fat cakes of yeast! I have never tried a third time because by then I am ready to brew something else. ;)
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Pro method.

Post by Brewer2001 »

This is exactly how small breweries pitch most of their beers. However there is a slight difference in their equipment, Unitanks. They do a transfer known as 'cone to cone' pitching. This, if performed correctly collects the most viable yeast in prime condition if the following procedures are followed.

1. The tank and cone are cooled to crash temperature.
2. The transfer is completed shortly after the fermentation is completed.
3. The trub is drained from the cone (and discarded) before transfer.
4. The transfer is stopped before the top layer of yeast is drawn.

The yeast settle out in a cake which has three distince layers. Bottom dead yeast cells and trub, viable healthy yeast and non viable cells in suspension. We homebrewers have a hard time getting only the middle layer. I would try to pour off the top layer before pitching and stop just before the you reach the bottom layer. If you do pitch all of your yeast you should wash the every third or fourth pitching.

Good brewing,

Tom