Point BTP to a Different Library Folder

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
Brewtus

Point BTP to a Different Library Folder

Post by Brewtus »

I have BTP installed on a primary (Vista) machine and a secondary (XP), both on my home network. Sometimes someone else is using the primary computer, then I want to use the secondary computer to access the library of the primary computer. I have set up network sharing so that I can see the Vista's recipes from the XP computer.

A workaraound is to copy recipe files before and after I work on the secondary computer, but it would be so much easier if I could just permanently point the secondary computer to use the primary's recipes. Also, this way i don't have to worry about synchronization.

Edit: I realized that BTP can already relocate the library (Edit, Preferences). :oops: I got it working after three attempts. BTP complained that the library was either not a library or it was encrypted. BTP became unstable and I had to reboot twice. After the last reboot it is working as I had hoped.
slothrob

one library two computers

Post by slothrob »

Good tip!

So, you can edit recipes from either computer and the other one sees the current changes?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Brewtus

Re: one library two computers

Post by Brewtus »

slothrob wrote:Good tip!

So, you can edit recipes from either computer and the other one sees the current changes?
Yes, that's right.

I don't know why I had trouble setting it up, but it is working now, from both ends. I suppose it is going to be important to have the primary computer on when starting BTP on the secondary, but that was the point of this anyway.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: one library two computers

Post by jeff »

Brewtus wrote:I don't know why I had trouble setting it up, but it is working now, from both ends.
I love when stuff works :D
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff