Impact of Dry Hop and Cold on Residual CO2?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Michael Kazeuma
Light Lager
Light Lager

Impact of Dry Hop and Cold on Residual CO2?

Post by Michael Kazeuma »

I posted in the Emergency Forum on December 19 and earlier in regard to a big Belgian Ale (on steroids) that I was having trouble bringing down to a drinkable gravity. I started at 1.110 and now it sits at 1.025.

It has been dry hopped at about 8 degrees Celsius for the last couple of weeks and is ready to be bottled. If I fermented at between 18 and 24 degrees (68 - 75F) up until the two week cold storage rest, what is the impact of the dry hopping and storage on the CO2 remaining in the wort? The priming calculators I have found ask for the fermentation temp. Should I use just the final temp of fermentation which was probably around 23?

Data:
Fermented for about a month and then two week rest moved from 1.110 to 1.025
WYeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit
Extract and Specialty Malt
First Dry Hopping: Cascade 56g on 12.05 (fermentation was basically over)
Racked off on 12.20
Second Dry Hopping: Cascade 28g on 12.22

Cheers,

Michael
slothrob

Residual CO2 and Temperature

Post by slothrob »

I use the last temperature that the beer has been sitting at to determines the residual CO2, if it's been at that for more than a few days.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Michael Kazeuma
Light Lager
Light Lager

Impact of Rest on CO2

Post by Michael Kazeuma »

Thanks for the reply.

I will calculate the priming sugar required at the rest temperature and take it from there. This has been a long brew time of six weeks and hopefully the Imperial Forbidden Fruit Belgian ale at around 10% will be worth the wait. i will probably put it in cold storage for a couple of months. Here in Japan I pay anywhere from 10 to 15 dollars a bottle for a serious beer that size.

Thanks again for the advice and I hope you have a great 2010!

Michael
slothrob

big beer

Post by slothrob »

Make sure you save some beer for longer than that, 6 months or more. Big beers like this often take a lot of time to be at their best.

By the way, one brewer who posts here occasionally, CJ, is a brewer for Baird Brewing in Numazu, Japan.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP