Style Error

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
spgriffin
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Style Error

Post by spgriffin »

All of my recipes are not allowing me to edit (only trying to edit one actually, but figured I wold go through all of them to see what was happening). Anytime I clik edit and change a wt to a grain, I get the red error message asking me to correct the STYLE. I find this really weird since the style doesn't really provide more than the corrections and style guidelines. Any suggestions?
Keg 1: Rye stout
Keg 2: Irish honey red
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Style Error

Post by jeff »

spgriffin wrote:All of my recipes are not allowing me to edit (only trying to edit one actually, but figured I wold go through all of them to see what was happening). Anytime I clik edit and change a wt to a grain, I get the red error message asking me to correct the STYLE. I find this really weird since the style doesn't really provide more than the corrections and style guidelines. Any suggestions?
There has been a nasty software conflict that we are still working to resolve. I tested the Calculator form and it seems to be working. If you have any other problems please post them.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
The Professor
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by The Professor »

Ignore the "style" issues. The various brew software I've used has been strictly to help calculate percentages and estimate end results...the "style" tips are largely useless.

Really, the biggest problem with most brewing software is the fact that the databases are tied to BJCP guidelines, which are a little wonky and arbitrary (not to mention sometimes downright incorrect) to begin with. The last thing I want from any software is having it tell me that my beer is not "to style" (usually incorrectly).

The whole "styles" thing has become such an odd and annoying obsession anyway.

Make beer...make GOOD beer, and to hell with "style" guidelines. Unless you're entering in competition (which is the only thing the "guidelines" were developed for) they don't matter anyway. They certainly have no relevance (and never did have any relevance) in the real world outside of amateur competiton brewing.