apple cider/beer and yeast

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

spgriffin
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

apple cider/beer and yeast

Post by spgriffin »

So I wanted to make a beer with cider, but not a cider per se. So, I made an amber at a abv at 5.1 with 1.125 of Liberty at boil.

I then added one gallon of cider at flame out. Fermented with Amer Ale II to hopefully match the fruitiness that ca come from the yeast to help bring out some of the apple flavor.

Question: After fermenting at typical ale temp for this type of yeast, can I then transfer the beer to a secondary and toss in a lager strain and drop the temp to 55?
Keg 1: Rye stout
Keg 2: Irish honey red
slothrob

Second yeast

Post by slothrob »

You could, but I'm not sure if it will have a noticeable effect. You probably want to add an actively fermenting starter in this case, to get the yeast to work after the shock of being added to a finished beer.

I'm curious, what are you trying to get from the lager yeast? A little more attenuation?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
spgriffin
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

apple beer

Post by spgriffin »

I was trying to get more attenuation, drier finish.
slothrob

apple beer

Post by slothrob »

I'd be curious to hear how this comes out.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
spgriffin
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

apple beer

Post by spgriffin »

Came out great. I think I'll do this for every Winter. I carbed it in a keg and it bubbles up nicely. I guessed at how I wanted it to come out and seems fine, I may add more CO2 next time around to get more bubbles from i, but good enough to drink.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

I would imagine this came out fairly dry without the lager yeast? Apple juice usually ferments out pretty well, not leaving a whole lot of flavor behind, but enough to taste. I make an apple wine from another forum that is just apple juice with sugar and montrochet yeast. It ferments out very dry, but that's because of all the extra sugar.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB