natural carbonation kegging

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

mattmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

natural carbonation kegging

Post by mattmike »

i am ready to use corney kegs. Would it be wise to let my batch settle in one for a few weeks after 2ndary and would the priming sugar be enough to seal the keg? Probably have to use co2 to dispense the beer too right? Thanks
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

If you're naturally carbonating, you'll still need to seal the keg. Priming sugar won't cut it.

As far as pushing the beer out... you could probably get by with one of those CO2 injectors that use the 12gram (approx.) cartridges. They won't carbonate it, but a few of them will push already carbed beer.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
mattmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

better flavor?

Post by mattmike »

thanks. What are some store brands that are carbed this way?
KingKeggerWA

Post by KingKeggerWA »

I've been carbo'ing in kegs for some time now and find that 1. I save a heap on gas (6 kegs running - only 1 liver.....) and 2. the beer tastes better and the bead is softer.
I know many will disagree but hey, like beer to each there own.
1. Ferment as long as required then bulk prime keg using whatever sugar you choose.
2. Rack beer across being careful not so stir too much sediment. A little won't hurt, helps flavour and natural carbo to occur.
3. Seal up, pump some gas in and purge the air out a few times to ensure minimal yeast bloom.
4. Stick in back where you did your fermentation (I use 3000 bottle climate controlled wine cellar - indulgent but wow can I ferment, age, store lots of beer!! 12 kegs total and a pretty nice beer library. Independant temp zones too!!)
Like bottles, give it a week or 3. Before moving it, I check to see how much gas is in it (burp it quickly) to ensure success. Purge the first pint out, recharge the gas, fridge it for 24hrss and drink. Beer is clear, gently carbo's, beads like champagne and has no green, immature beer taste.
Who's a lucky boy then.... (I also brew in a large commercial kitchen after hours so 1 knock of 12 x 5 Gal brews in 3 hours......but enough of how lucky I am)

I highly recommend trying this method out.