need more malt?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

mattmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

need more malt?

Post by mattmike »

hey folks. I am about to make a cream ale. Consisting of: 5 lbs 6 row 1 lb each of flaked corn rice oats and honey. Would i be getting enough fermentable sugars out of this mash for a 5 gallon batch? If not should i add cane or corn sugar? Also would the equal parts corn and oats detract from the creaminess? Thanks for any help. I will be using sterling hops for flavor .
slothrob

enough malt

Post by slothrob »

It will give you 5 gallons of 1.043 beer, which is fine, if a little toward the low side. I make a lot of beers close to this OG.

It's hard to predict the outcome of this recipe, as I don't really make beers with this much adjunct. The Corn and Honey will tend to make the body light and thin out the flavor. The Oats will add back a bit of body. I'm not sure exactly where it will end up, but it will probably be a very light refreshing beer.

I like Sterling hops a lot. They are a lot like Saaz, a mild floral/spicy flavored hop, much like the German hop varieties.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
mattmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mattmike »

alright thanks. This be my first all grain. Og was precisely 1.05 i did add a cup of cane sugar to the boil. Dont know if that will ferment. The honey was wildflower may be a bit more concentrated.
slothrob

more malt

Post by slothrob »

I'd be curious to hear how this comes out. I've never used this much sugar and honey in a beer, and I'd like to hear what effect it has on the flavor.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
mattmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mattmike »

Was fun researching this. Probably extend the fermentation for an extra month, I heard the honey can be overwhelming until it settles . For my own knowledge too, I got to see the gains ratio to dry malt extract as this is my first all grain brew. Cost about $25 to make. Thanks for the interest. I can update and plan on getting beer tools pro soon.
mattmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mattmike »

the honey cream has become a favorite of mine. Now on my 5th attempt at perfecting it to my tastes. Heard you guys mention liberty hops for cream ale, thats what i'll use this batch. I noticed the wildflower honey is almost to strong or not the "right" type for me. It overpowers with an almost medicinal taste. Startewd adding honey malts a few batches back to keep the flavor roundness now to match the pure honey to taste and i think i win with this one. Getting up there in abv also. Maybe a beer/mead hybrid in the works.