Ya know what really burns my biscuits ?

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

I know I'm guilty, who else?

Post by bredmakr »

I've done this and need to work at updating the recipes after I brew. When I generate a recipe and include all the things that I'm going to put into it I really don't know exactly when I'm going to add the specialty stuff. I usually decide during the brewing process. I just include it in the notes so I will remember to use it when I'm brewing and to have a complete shopping list.

I think that we should all try to go back and update our recipes with notes on how they turned out. Some of the recipes that I have found that I have been interested in making have zero comments or notes about how good it was, what went wrong, or if the brewer plans on making it again. What changes we plan to make next time and in what order and when certain ingredients are added. That sort of thing.

If we all work together we can all make better beer.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Private Stash

Post by andytv »

My problem is this; I have several recipes in my private "gold account" stash. Some are pretty good, some are marginal. Once your so used to drinking great homebrew, you forget how good the "typical recipes" actually are. Anyway, back to the point, I am constantly tweaking. I never feel that I'm ready to post a recipe. Even when it's great, I figure I'll brew it again with a slight change, then consdier posting it. Of course, I never stop changing beers. Variety is the spice of life (i.e. what tastes great in the fall might be a little better in the summer using wheat for half the grain bill).

As for posting recipes in the public database w/o notes; I will never do it. When I finally tune my recipes in just right, maybe I'll post a few (with notes).

Keep in mind that you can use the B-tools recipe tools w/o actaully making your recipe visible to the public.

Andy
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I Really Hate When My Biscuits Get Burned

Post by dartedplus »

Really........I do!!
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Ok here is the scoop on recipe comments

Post by lathe »

Hi Gang,
Out of nearly 2,100 recipes there are 142 comments on 86 recipes. One thing we should try is posting questions on recipes that grab our attention. The author can thus be "encouraged" to offer more info on how it turned out.
Thanks,
Lathe
BeerTools.com staff
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

LA

Post by Freon12 »

I was born and raised in Laffayete county Louisiana. I would consider you a northerner.
We were too poor to have "high class" biscuits even if they were burnt. As for notes, I can't read or write, what would I do with notes?
How bad could it be?

Steve "the coon azz", non-note writer and part time yeast murder, mash burn to the bottomer, hops killer and beer waster.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Southern Joke

Post by Freon12 »

Whoowa, I intended the post as a joke on myself and also extending Eric's sign offs to further the fun.
Sometimes making fun of yourself comes off wrong. I apologize if it sounded from any other context than fun natured. (It's true, I have wasted beer). Also "coonass" is a friendly and familiar greeting among Cajuns, although not taken as such from outsiders sometimes, I used as a funny and a way of making fun of our cooking reputation. I don't think Justin Wilson burned anything, but you could kid him about it.
I'll try not to drive the joke you started over the cliff anymore, sorry.

Cheers
Steve.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Clarification

Post by l48shark »

Paulie,

Sorry about that. You shouldn't add the NyQuil until *AFTER* you have chilled the wort. Use red or green according to taste. Good luck.

Cheers,
Ford
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Ya know what really burns my biscuits ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

It would be great if people added brewer's notes to their recipes so we would have an idea of how to use the special ingedients called for.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Let me be more specific

Post by Azorean Brewer »

For exapmle if someone wrote up a recipe like ...

Use:
8 lbs pale malt
1 lb Crystal malt
5 lbs bing cherries
1 oz hops ...
etc ...

What do you do with the cherries?

A straightforward recipe we can all figure out but there are "unconventional" ingredients that are listed and no explanation of what to do with them, cherries, pumpkins, apricots, and licorice.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Touchee'

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Ed, Thanks for keeping it light.
Paul.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

re: LA

Post by Azorean Brewer »

The regulars here are the ones that really care about this site and add notes to their recipes help out others.