East Coast Ale Yeast

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

East Coast Ale Yeast

Post by Legman »

Has anyone had any experience using White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast?
I've used it a couple of times now and 2 out of 3 times the beer has a fairly prominent twang flavor. A friend of mine described it as sour, but I don't think that's really it. It's just kinda strange tasting. Not sure how to describe it. Maybe a winey flavor.
The yeast has a flavor description of being "tart", but if that's what I'm tasting, it's fairly strong.

Anyone else have any off flavors from this yeast?
OTDrunk

Post by OTDrunk »

Twang and tart are relitive terms.... I have used that yeast a few times and I see it as tart.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

At first I was thinking maybe an infection because of the strong sour/winey taste. But now after it has set another week, it's not nearly as strong as before. It's definitely mellowing out, so an infection is ruled out. With a little more conditioning it should dissipate.
I would now describe the flavor as being more tart.
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Taste over time

Post by shaggyt »

Legman, I just purchased this strain and I would like to use it in my next IPA.

How long did it take for your brew to develop the tartness from the sourness?

I'm just curious as to whether to keg or bottle when using this strain when the time comes. Usually if it goes in the keg, it's consumed relatively early in the beer's life. So if it took 4 weeks or more for this flavor change to occur, I'll probably bottle it.

If you have any other feedback about this strain, please share that as well.

Cheers.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

re:Taste over time

Post by Legman »

Shaggy,
It's been quite awhile since I've used this yeast.
I think, if I remember correctly, I may have been tasting this early on and not giving it enough time to age.
I want to say the last time I used this yeast, I let it age 2 months before drinking and everything seem alright. I've since then have been letting all of my beers age at least 2 months before I tap them.
You can still keg your brew and let it sit, that's what I do now.
Let me know what you think of this yeast. I"m still kind of indifferent about it.
I've still got a couple of vials in my frozen yeast bank and I need to give it another try.