honey for flavor and +ABV

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

SnortingGrunter

honey for flavor and +ABV

Post by SnortingGrunter »

Been reading around for advice on when to add honey and see that most people do it at flame out. I'm doing a weizen right now and am in the middle of primary... have I missed the boat for adding honey, or can I do it now? I'm also planning to bottle, and haven't read any testimonies from people priming with honey in bottles.

Any experience out there with adding honey during primary? The current plan (completely gambling here) is to add in a pound or so to my 5gal. batch in a couple of days after fermentation has slowed in hopes to get things going again and then let the yeast work out the sugars in the honey. Is this realistic? Anyone done it? is there any merit in adding honey now AND after fermentation, now for ABV and "crispness" and later for flavor?

Forgive the anal-retentive over-thinking, but the batch is for a wedding reception so I'm paranoid about ruining it. Perhaps the wrong time to be experimenting with my fermentables...

-G
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

I've never primed with honey, so I can't comment on that. The only thing is, it might be hard to figure out just how much honey to add to each bottle.

As far as adding it now...no problem. It will add more sugar for the yeast, and it will have a better honey flavor because you didn't boil it.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB