Too late to add sugar?

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Lloydarcher01
Light Lager
Light Lager

Too late to add sugar?

Post by Lloydarcher01 »

Hey guys, I just did a brew and got a lower OG then what I wanted so I was going to add some sugar to bring it up to my desired OG. The reason it is less is because i just sorta guessed about how much sugar i added instead of weighing it out.

So when is it too late to add sugar? I just finished the brew like 3 hours ago and wanted to put some in now...
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Was this an extract beer? If so, did you add water to the wort to bring it up to 5 gallons?
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
slothrob

Re: Too late to add sugar?

Post by slothrob »

Lloydarcher01 wrote: So when is it too late to add sugar?
You can add sugar most any time during primary. The best time might actually be just as the fermentation is starting to slow down from the peak.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Lloydarcher01
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Lloydarcher01 »

Recipe:
1lb Crystal Malt 40L
4lbs Dry light malt extract
.5 Perle hops for 60min
.5 Cascade for 5min
1lb Brown sugar (estimation was off so i probably only did .5lb)

Started with 3 gallons and lost about .75 of a gallon and added 3 more gallons of cool water to the wort.

I just boiled some water and let it cool and added it to another .5lbs of sugar and added it. I have heard that you can add it anytime during primary as well, just thought i'd get a second opinion, you guys have always given good advice
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

How far off was your gravity? When mixing that much water, I'm assuming you probably didn't mix it well enough to get a good hydrometer reading. This happens all the time with extract brewing.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB