White stuff floating in Secondary

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Lloydarcher01
Light Lager
Light Lager

White stuff floating in Secondary

Post by Lloydarcher01 »

Hey, I started my first ever bacth last week and everything has went great up till recently. I had my beer in primary for 7 days until my gravity was consistent for 3 days straight. I recently (2 days ago) racked my brew into my secondary carboy. Yesterday I noticed little white stuff floating NEAR(inch or so below) the top. I have seen other posts saying they have stuff floating on the top but that isn't my problem. If i look at it very closely, there is a very small bubble on one. Now the other forums i have checked said it may be small deposits of CO2 but i'm not sure because it doesn't all look like bubbles. It doesn't seem to be moldy/fuzzy and hasn't grown at all since yesterday, just kind of curious.

It's a brown ale with OG 1.072 and TG of 1.026 if that helps in the diagnosis at all.

Any and all help is appreciated.

P.S. Sorry iI tried to take a picture but i just get a reflection off my carboy :(
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hard to say

Post by brewmeisterintng »

but time will tell. You could use a wine thief to sample the beer but it would be hard to note any off flavors in a brown. I take it you will be bottling this? Just watch for rings forming around the neck. I think it will be fine. It may be yeast falling out of suspension. Just my ramblings.
slothrob

yeast

Post by slothrob »

Odds are it's yeast. Either carried up by CO2 in the beer, say if the beer got a little warmer and some CO2 came out of solution, or by some re-invigorated fermentation caused by the transfer.

When I used to transfer to secondary after 1 week, I would often see a couple point drop during secondary, even if the gravity had seemed steady before the transfer.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Lloydarcher01
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Lloydarcher01 »

That's what I wanted to hear. Either way i was gonna wait it out but that comforts me more. Thanks, ill update if anything further occurs.