My potted rhizomes in CO.... What I did.

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

My potted rhizomes in CO.... What I did.

Post by mule »

My little experiment is going rather well except for a hail storm a couple days ago. It stripped off all of the leaves from the two here at work. Does anyone know it they will re leaf? I'm hoping it doesn't kill the rhizomes, they were strong plants.:cry:

My setup is wood planter pots that hold almost two large bags of soil. Either black pipe pole w/ a "t" on top at work or what we call the Gallows Poles at home. I bucket water the two at work (Mt. Hood & Sterling), drip line set 2" under soil for the 6 on the gallows and sprinkler water one that is on a lattes by my house. The 7 at home are Cascade, Chinook, Willamette, Fuggles, Magnum, Challenger, Nugget. I think..... I have the list at home.
Interesting thing to note, the one on my lattes has buds growing on it now...

Here is some pics of them starting off.

office

Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost.
mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mule »

The carnage from hail.... :cry:

Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Nicely done. It'd be interesting to see if they do as good as rhizomes planted in the ground. My buddy is growing some on the roof of his apartment and they're doing horrible.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mule »

The ones on my work porch started faster then slowed down once they got to 8-9'. The ones at home got going slow since they missed out on several hours of evening sun a day until they got up over the fence. Then they took off. I will have 15' tall bines by the end of August I bet.

I would have him check the water amount. I give mine about a gallon once or twice a week depending on heat. The yard ones get about a gallon every other day.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

I think he waters his every few days or so. They look good, they just aren't growing. I think his tallest is about 5-6'. Mine were planted a week later in my yard and they probably would have grown to 20' if I let them. I only built my trellis about 12' tall because I didn't expect even 10 feet this year. They did great and are about 15' tall now.

My assumption with his hops was that they didn't have room in his pots to grow their roots. He only used 16" pots. I kept telling him to go bigger, but he's not a homebrewer so I don't think he cares. He was going to give them to me so I could make an IPA. When he's growing Magnum and Nugget it could have been an interesting beer.

I'll have to get all my pictures posted at the end of the season.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mule »

I need to get some pictures of the cones forming, it's pretty cool to see the first ones. I will put some "end of season" pics up too.
on a side note. The ones that were hit by hail are growing new leaves in a few places. The worst hit one has a new vine coming up. Strange....
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

New bines will sprout very frequently

Post by billvelek »

mule wrote:snip ... The ones that were hit by hail are growing new leaves in a few places. The worst hit one has a new vine coming up. Strange....
I often have new bines just sprout up from the ground, so there is really nothing strange about that. In fact, I suspect that the plant might be able to somehow sense that it needs to replace a bine or leaves and generate a new sprout precisely for that reason.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mule »

Hi Bill,
The one that was damaged the most (Sterling) is sprouting again, but it looks like there are some new leave sprouts coming out too. The Mt. Hood has all kinds of new leave sprouts. Overall, I think Hops are very resilient plants.....
I need to stick a post on the yahoo group once I can get some more pictures, this is a "good to know that" type of situation for the rest of the crew.

Greg