Beer tools pro and partial mash recipes

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Beer tools pro and partial mash recipes

Post by river water brewing »

Please forgive the ignorance of my questions, I am very new to the Beer Tools Software. I brew with extract and specialty grains and was wondering how to best use the scheduling portion of the software. To me it seems very suited to all grain brewing.

Please advise on the best way to maximize the software for partial mash recipes. Also, is there any type of prerecorded webinar I can watch as training for the software?

Thanks so much for your help.
JG
Just trying to find the perfect batch!!!
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

no thoughts?

so is there no point in using the schedule part of the software for a partial mash????
JG
kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: Beer tools pro and partial mash recipes

Post by kevponce »

river water brewing wrote: Also, is there any type of prerecorded webinar I can watch as training for the software?
Riv

Check out the link below from Youtube. This guy Bobby is pretty sharp and the intro music is pretty cool too. He has a basic tutorial then goes on to some other stuff that you can find as related links. He goes over batch sparging and I have to admit that I used to do partials but now do All-grains, and that only started 4 batches ago. Good luck.
PS we all were new once. There are some really great people on this site who help out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX9xuSQr ... L&index=37
Primary: Celebrationizator
Bottled: Kevs Lost Keys Belgian, Raspberry Wheat, Big D's Baltic Porter, Dunkelweizen, Number 8, and an irish Red.
kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Au Contrair (or something like that)

Post by kevponce »

river water brewing wrote:so is there no point in using the schedule part of the software for a partial mash????
Riv the program can really help you out with a lot of stuff. Even if its just record keeping, but here is some thoughts.

Here are two pics. The first is the ingredients the second a schedule. Both are real quick and not real recipes but they give you the idea

A quick premise would be that you would work out how much Mashed wort you want to end up with. That would be the last number in the "Collected" column. I used to use Ken Schwartz's great article to arrive at my numbers.

That total amount gets represented by a total of three figures 1. The amount of water you mash-in with minus what the grain absorbs, (which is the first number in the "available" column)

2. the .75 gallons you use for the first batch sparge
plus
3. The second addition of the .75 gallons from the second sparge

+.75
+.75
=2.55
I guess there is some rounding going on in the program that shows it as 2.58, but I am not squabbling over .03

If you are not familiar with Batch sparging i suggest you look up Denny Conn Batch Sparge on Yahoo and you will get a hit on him. Otherwise you could fly sparge but the basic principal is the same.

So after you know that you are going to get 2.58 gallons of wort
you would subtract that from your "Kettle Volume at 212" number

eg

5.5 gallons in kettle at 212
minus 2.5 (I rounded for easy math)
= 3 gallons

so you would have to add 3 gallons of water to you kettle along with the extract from the recipe.

Voila!

Hopefully this helps. I check my posts fairly often so if you have questions feel free. i feel obliged to give back here. i have had some great help from guys like. Slothrob, Legman, Jawbox, Jeff, Lathe and countless others. You will probably here from them soon. Guys I hope I am not too far off.

Good luck
Last edited by kevponce on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bottled: Kevs Lost Keys Belgian, Raspberry Wheat, Big D's Baltic Porter, Dunkelweizen, Number 8, and an irish Red.
kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

PS. Vessel Calibration

Post by kevponce »

You should also really really really calibrate you mash tun. Let me know if you do I'll give you some pointers that I got from others. It effects your temps in your schedule greatly and takes a lot of guess work out.
slothrob

Re: Beer tools pro and partial mash recipes

Post by slothrob »

river water brewing wrote:I brew with extract and specialty grains and was wondering how to best use the scheduling portion of the software. To me it seems very suited to all grain brewing.
The Schedule tool is for mashing grain. If you're not mashing you don't need the Schedule tools, but there are a lot of other features in BTP that are useful for extract brewers, like recipe formulation and inventory management.

You can use the Schedule section to record your steeping information. This will help familiarize you with that section and prepare you for mashing. It might be simpler to record "Steeped grains in 1 gallon of 150°F water" in the notes section.
river water brewing wrote:so is there no point in using the schedule part of the software for a partial mash????
Yes, the Schedule tools are useful for a partial mash, which is different than extract and specialty grains, which usually implies steeping. The Schedule tool will help you determine strike temperatures and sparge volumes.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Thanks!!!

Thanks so much for the great info Kevponce and Slothrob!!!
JG