Help with Mash Schedule

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

flynnguy

Help with Mash Schedule

Post by flynnguy »

I'm fairly new to all grain brewing and I just finished a basic batch sparge recipe that turned out well. (Well so far, it's in the primary) I used BTP to come up with a schedule and successfully setup a mash in and then a three runnings batch sparge. Now on to my question...

I am going to be brewing a Belgian Golden Ale from a kit. They specify a mash schedule of:
122 deg F for 20 min
153 deg F for 60 min
170 deg F for 10 min

My question is, how should I go about doing this using my batch sparging setup? My initial thought was to do a mash in with a final temp of 122 deg. Then an infusion to get to 153 deg and then a 2-3 running batch sparge with the target temp of 170 deg. However doing this, I end up with a lot of water....
Mash In @ 1.25 qt/lb tells me 4.06 gal @ 129.98 deg
then rest for 20 minutes
Infusion @ 1.0 qt/lb tells me 3.25 gal @ 197.7 deg

but then when I get to where I can calculate the batch sparge, I'll already have too much water. What am I doing wrong?
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

Try mashing in at about .5 qt/lb. and see where that gets you. I think you've just got it set too high. Protein rests are more effective if your mash is thicker.
I also batch sparge, but I usually just do a single sparge run if my mash tun will allow it.
flynnguy

Post by flynnguy »

Thanks, I'm still new to this all grain thing so I was primarily going with the defaults. Playing with it some more, I think I can do a mash in of .5 qt/lb and then a second infusion of .7 qt/lb and then I should be able to do one or two sparges. That just seemed to thick to me at first, wasn't sure if the bed would be wet enough. Hopefully I can give it a go soon.