honey

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

spgriffin
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

honey

Post by spgriffin »

what are the pros and cons of adding honey to the boil vs late addition (and what exactly is considered late?). Also regardless of timing of the honey, how will a late addition effect gravity?
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

honey

Post by brewmeisterintng »

If you add it to the boil, you will boil away any charistic that the honey would have added. Adding it at flame out will ensure that it is sanitized while keeping the delicate flavors.
I don't have the points per pound per gallon that honey will add to the OG but I am sure that someone here has that answer.
On a personal note, I have used honey in a few of my brews and wasn't overly pleased with the result. I really enjoy the honey flavor in a Bitburger Pils. That was what got me going on the honey thing. I just never mastered it.
slothrob

Re: honey

Post by slothrob »

brewmeisterintng wrote:I really enjoy the honey flavor in a Bitburger Pils. That was what got me going on the honey thing. I just never mastered it.
There wouldn't be any honey in a Bitburger, though. Those flavors would come from the Pilsner Malt and the process. I suppose they could be using some form of Braumalt, which Honey Malt is supposed to resemble. I don't think any German beer would use actual honey... do you?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
spgriffin
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Honey

Post by spgriffin »

Actually due to the Purity Law in Germany, you could not use any adjunct - grains only.

Thanks for the tips on the honey. I make an Irish Red that I use honey at the boil and it helps slightly dry it out as it is suppose to; most people think it should be malty and add munich type malts, which although makes a good beer destroys the possibility of it becoming an Irish Red.