FAQ's ?

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

FAQ's ?

Post by lathe »

Hello Everyone,
We are hammering away at some fairly signifigant improvements here at BT. Jeff has been really burning the midnight oil on the programing. We want to find out from the users what questions you had when you first started using the site. Questions you may have had with the Calculator, Generator, Analysis, Forum...so on. What information would you have benefited from when starting out with these tools. Please let us know so that we can incorporate your first hand knowledge into a better more user friendly BeerTools.com.
Thanks,
Lathe
BeerTools Staff
abbiesdad
Light Lager
Light Lager

Starter

Post by abbiesdad »

Lathe,

One question I see coming up time and time again on the various discussion boards from novice brewers concerns yeast starters.

Maybe a line or 2 about starters (advantages of using, how to mix and use...) might help some.

Just a thought.

Ralph
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Style Guide

Post by l48shark »

Here's a thought: When I submit a recipe, the calculator tells me how close I am to the intended style in several categories. But when I view a recipe submitted by another member, this informaiton is not provided. Or am I missing something? Let me know how I can view this information or otherwise please accept this as a suggestion.

Cheers,
Ford
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Another Suggestion

Post by l48shark »

Lathe,

As long as you are on the topic of changes, there is one thing I would like to see. On any other Internet forum I have visited, threads are topped when updated. In other words, if I post a reply to a thread, then it becomes the first entry on the list of main threads. That way it stays active and everyone sees it as a current discussion. The way Beer Tools is today, if I reply to a 30+ day old thread, no one will ever notice unless they have already posted to it and have the e-mail notification turned on. Would it be possible for Beer Tools to top updated threads?

Cheers,
Ford
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

My first time

Post by stumpwater »

I was searching for recipes and recipe sites. An obscure reference to BeerTools.com was posted on one of the other sites by a user. I opened the BeerTools.com page and looked for two things. First, for recipes. Second, I went looking at the tutorial. It would have been nice if I had been able to read comments on the recipes/got ratings/brew notes etc. Most of the recipes did not have anything and I was hesitant to start experimenting as the main reason I came to the site in the first place was to find tried and true recipes. It wasn't until my third or fourth visit that I realized the forum and its information power was here.
Ok, so I think that there should be a recipe section for beginners with some tried and true easy to brew recipes. You could link from any recipe in the beginner section to other recipes that are similar within the recipe library.
Also, a flag about the forum section on the main page would be good. Let beginners know that there is an area on this site where they have the ability to interact with other brewer's on many different levels from beginner to professional. After all is said and done, I come to this site over and over again because of the forum, not the recipe library.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

good suggestion

Post by Gravity Thrills »

This is a good suggestion that I have wondered about as well. I thought maybe it was a setting on an account page I did not have right of something.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

second

Post by Freon12 »

I sometimes start a new thread to continue an older subject due to the stay at the bottom system.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

One more...

Post by l48shark »

It would also be helpful if the e-mail notification of a reply to my post had the subject of the first post in the subject of the e-mail (or the thread topic, which is not a feature here).

Suppose I post on several threads and people reply to one or more of my posts. I will receive an e-mail for each reply. In the case of this thread, I can open the first message with the subject "FAQ's", open the link, and read all of the posts. Then I can delete all of the messages with the same subject from my inbox and check replies to the next thread, if any. As it is, I have to open every single message and click the link to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Please note I intend for this to be constructive criticism. I think this is an awesome forum and certainly the most civil one on the Net. It is just a little more difficult to navigate than the Corvette board I frequent. I hope these suggestions help; thanks for asking for our input.

Cheers,
Ford
HardcoreLegend
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Use of adjuncts

Post by HardcoreLegend »

I think a glossary or virtual library could be helpful to explain the character imparted by certain ingredients, especially adjuncts. I am developing new recipes all the time using your site, and I think it could be quite useful. For instance, what if I added oatmeal to a recipe? What results would that produce? Molasses? Spices?