Batch Sparge Infusion amounts seem off

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
bleupen

Batch Sparge Infusion amounts seem off

Post by bleupen »

I must be doing something wrong. It's telling me that i should collect more liquid than i am infusing with each batch.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2lks9xu.jpg[/img]

Thoughts?

Brad
slothrob

volume and temp

Post by slothrob »

I would think it has something to do with the temperature of the liquid already in the collection vessel increasing and expanding upon the addition of the hotter sparge, but the 1% increase in volume seems too much for the few degrees of temperature change.

Anyone else?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Expansion is probably correct

Post by billvelek »

I can't think of anything else that could cause that, slothrob. Obviously, if it is actually physically happening, expansion is the only possible answer. But for BTP, the difference in the final digit might be due to rounding, and there is not really that much of a difference. If the collection of first runnings was really 3.15499999 (just short of being rounded to 3.16, and if the total collected after sparge #1 just barely managed to be rounded (e.g., 5.2555555), the difference between the fignures of what was added and collected is really very close to .04 gallons -- However, I am surprised that the total increase in temp for the aggregate wort -- from 148.3 to only 153.4 (only 5.1 degrees) -- still could have that much of a difference -- although the difference is actually less than 1% -- .04/5.26= 0.0076 = .76%. But although surprised, I have no reason to dispute it.

I can't think of anything else other than temp difference.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

expansion

Post by slothrob »

That's as far as I could get, too.

I was under the impression that water expansion maxes out around 0.8% for a 20°F temperature change near boiling temperatures. So, I would expect that a 5°F change would be closer to a 0.2% volume change, at most.

That's definitely out of my area of expertise, though.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP