Rounding out values

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Rounding out values

Post by kevponce »

As I calculate my batch sparge I get a lot of oddball water volumes which just seem impractical to try and measure eg 6.48 gallons 1.96 2.38. So what is the proper "lock" boxes to uncheck or the proper procedures to follow when trying to round these out, and what will it effect?
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Rounding out values

Post by Legman »

I find it impractical as well to measure those kind of volumes. So my solution to this is when I set up my mash and sparge volumes, I keep them in increments of .25 gallons (1 quart). The preboil volume never come out an easily measured volume, so I just assume it's what BTP tells me.
Then I just adjust my boil time to achieve my final kettle volume after boil.
It's still not 100% accurate, but it's close and I get a consistent efficiency percentage.
kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by kevponce »

So what is locked or unlocked
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

Look in BTP, under help tab, help topics, building recipes, then Configuring Batch Size.
This explains what you are asking.
slothrob

round values

Post by slothrob »

You can freely edit all the volumes in the Schedule except the Total Runoff, if the Lock box is checked.

After BTP has calculated all your precise volumes, uncheck the lock box next to Total Runoff in the Batch Sparge Editor window. This will allow you to edit the Sparge Volume to rounded numbers. Unfortunately, it won't set your Kettle Volume in the main window to that new volume, but you can just enter your actual pre-boil volume.

Or, you can round the infusion values with the lock box checked and only the sparge volume will be calculated to a precise value.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP