Need help!!,

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
rackaam
Light Lager
Light Lager

Need help!!,

Post by rackaam »

I tried to reinstall BTB1.5.2 on a new PC (I use Linux + Wine and work on my old one), now I receive this message : "licence file could not be opened, please check directory permissions". I gave administrator permissions to BTP directories but still not work. Whats the name of license file?
slothrob

help

Post by slothrob »

I think you need to go to "My Beertools" and download a new license key.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
rackaam
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by rackaam »

It's a new one!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Need help!!,

Post by jeff »

rackaam wrote:I tried to reinstall BTB1.5.2 on a new PC (I use Linux + Wine and work on my old one), now I receive this message : "licence file could not be opened, please check directory permissions". I gave administrator permissions to BTP directories but still not work. Whats the name of license file?
The name of the license file is "license".
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
twarin

Post by twarin »

Has anybody had any luck installing on Wine under Linux?

My old laptop died and the replacement is an Ubuntu machine. I'd like to be able to keep using Beertools if possible, but I haven't had any luck getting past the "licence file could not be opened, please check directory permissions" issue.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

twarin, this won't be much help, but I'll tell you my experience. Several months ago I tried installing running BTP on Ubuntu using Crossover Office, which is a sort of front end for Wine. BTP Version 1.0.27 (I think) and earlier seemed to work, but anything newer did not.

ADDENDUM: OK, in the time since I posted the above I found the thread were I noted my experiences. Looks like it was a little over a year ago. Anyway, here's the link
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
twarin

Post by twarin »

Thanks, ColoradoBrewer.

I did try the latest 1.5.XX with CrossOver as well, just in case, and it didn't work in there either.

I think I've heard elsewhere that BTP 1.0.XX does run under Wine. It looks like something changed with the license key checking between 1.0.XX and 1.5.XX that fubared it on Wine. I suspect that once it gets past that, it would run fine.

I'd happily downgrade, but I don't have a 1.0.XX installer/key combo, alas.

Brewing software on Linux appears to be a mixed bag. QBrew (native Linux) works great , but is behind the curve on features. BeerSmith (the demo version) runs under Wine but crashes a lot. ProMash seems to run fine, but really isn't doing it for me.