Temperature for Mash readings and dead space

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Temperature for Mash readings and dead space

Post by kevponce »

2 questions
First when hovering over Kettle Volume at 212 to get efficiency do you really take a hydrometer reading while the wort is boiling. Yikes. I know in Palmer it is Pre-boli which I always measured just after the spare, so that is hot, but not boiling.
Second, I see posts in other places where there is a window called separation. What has that separation window become? And if the Batch Sparge editor is now it what has happened to the residual which I assume is the dead space. I have calibrated mash my mash cooler and see that I have a quart of dead space. When I pick that vessel in my mash in I don't se it do any adjustments for the quart left over
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Temperature for Mash readings and dead space

Post by jeff »

kevponce wrote:Second, I see posts in other places where there is a window called separation. What has that separation window become?
The separation step has split to become Fly and Batch sparge. The separation editor seemed to confuse lots of users so I distributed its function over two step types instead of one.
kevponce wrote:And if the Batch Sparge editor is now it what has happened to the residual which I assume is the dead space. I have calibrated mash my mash cooler and see that I have a quart of dead space. When I pick that vessel in my mash in I don't se it do any adjustments for the quart left over
"Residual" has become "Available". The batch sparge editor does not show "Available" because batch sparges almost always drain all available runoff leaving none available. Fly sparge still shows the "Available" runoff value.

"Available" is the amount of runoff available for collecting and is calculated as total water added minus water absorbed by grain minus dead-space.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by kevponce »

Thanks Jeff

How about the temp question. I guess if i measure it boiling i need a better hydrometer tube.
slothrob

pre-boil gravity

Post by slothrob »

The "at boil" part only refers to the volume, not the temperature at which you make the gravity reading, or the gravity at boil.

The pre-boil gravity reading is still the corrected gravity reading at whatever temperature you measure it. So you can take a sample anytime post-sparge, then cool it, then get the reading. I've found you can get a better reading if the sample is taken at boil, because it is mixed better, but I still cool the sample to <100oF and correct it to 60oF.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

kevponce wrote:How about the temp question. I guess if i measure it boiling i need a better hydrometer tube.
Or chill the sample in a bath of ice water.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

Definitely chill the sample -- you won't get an accurate reading if you try to measure your gravity at 200+, even with a correction factor.
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing
kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by kevponce »

jeff wrote: "Residual" has become "Available". The batch sparge editor does not show "Available" because batch sparges almost always drain all available runoff leaving none available. Fly sparge still shows the "Available" runoff value.

"Available" is the amount of runoff available for collecting and is calculated as total water added minus water absorbed by grain minus dead-space.
Jeff, I do not understand this part of your post in that if my Tun has a quart of dead space then when I batch sparge a quart will be left behind. But it does not seem that any calculation of water changes when I move the vessel selection between "none" or "my mashtun". Shouldn't I see somewhere a compensation for the 1 qt of water left behind? FYI. I have three sections in my schedule. 1. MashIn 2. Sac Rest 3. batch sparge which consists of 3 parts a.first runnings (no infusion) b. 1st sparge c. 2nd sparge.

By the way, I am curious how one estimates Hop aroma additions. I mean I guess there is really no way to do that, Right? So in an ale how do you know how much aroma hop to put in? I have almost always gone by other brewers recipes and or kits and now that I am trying to create my own recipes that aspect of the recipe creation puzzles me. I guess this part of it falls under "brewing is an art not a science".
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

kevponce wrote:
jeff wrote: "Residual" has become "Available". The batch sparge editor does not show "Available" because batch sparges almost always drain all available runoff leaving none available. Fly sparge still shows the "Available" runoff value.

Jeff, I do not understand this part of your post in that if my Tun has a quart of dead space then when I batch sparge a quart will be left behind. But it does not seem that any calculation of water changes when I move the vessel selection between "none" or "my mashtun". Shouldn't I see somewhere a compensation for the 1 qt of water left behind? FYI. I have three sections in my schedule. 1. MashIn 2. Sac Rest 3. batch sparge which consists of 3 parts a.first runnings (no infusion) b. 1st sparge c. 2nd sparge.
When you say that you change the vessel for your batch sparge, which vessel are you changing? The collection vessel? If so, the collection vessel dead space will not affect the "Available" runoff because available runoff is connected with the current vessel from which the runoff is collected. Uh, if that makes sense :roll:
kevponce wrote:By the way, I am curious how one estimates Hop aroma additions. I mean I guess there is really no way to do that, Right? So in an ale how do you know how much aroma hop to put in? I have almost always gone by other brewers recipes and or kits and now that I am trying to create my own recipes that aspect of the recipe creation puzzles me. I guess this part of it falls under "brewing is an art not a science".
I have yet to see any formulas that calculate and quantify hop aroma or flavor. If you ever come across anything, I would be curious to know.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by kevponce »

Duh! Wow do I feel dumb right now. Of course the collection vessel has no dead space, It is the stinkin' Brew Kettle. I did notice that when I changed the vessel in the MashIn vessel there was a change in the "available" column. I must have missed that before. Thanks for hanging with me on that.
kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by kevponce »

Why is the word Pilsener under my name
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

kevponce wrote:Why is the word Pilsener under my name
That's just a goofy rank thing based on how many posts you have made. You earn "Imperial Stout" when you break 500 :shock:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

There are trends in aroma additions based on style. Ultimately you need to make a recipe, taste it, then decide if it would be better with more or less aroma hops. You can make a good guess based on style, but there's a lot of refinement through repeated brewing in recipe creation.
jeff wrote:
kevponce wrote:Why is the word Pilsener under my name
That's just a goofy rank thing based on how many posts you have made. You earn "Imperial Stout" when you break 500 :shock:
Who would ever do that?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP