Wheat Beer

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

fudd

Wheat Beer

Post by fudd »

OK this is my 4th all grain brew and here are my ingredients:

5.00 lbs. American 2-row info
4.00 lbs. English Wheat Malt
0.09 lbs. Weyermann CaraAmber
0.31 lbs. Weyermann CaraHell
.5 lbs. Oats Flaked info
0.29 oz. Cluster (Pellets, 7.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.48 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.5 %AA) boiled 15 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 3.9 %AA) boiled 1 min.
Yeast : WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Just looking for opinions on how long to secondary this beer. I will be force carbonating in a keg when done. Have not had any experience with wheat beers so any help would be much appreciated.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Secondary

Post by Legman »

This seems to be a Hefeweizen of sorts. That being the case, you would not want to secondary this at all. The use of a secondary is aid in clarifying the beer and letting the yeast floc out.
The yeast is big part of the flavor experience in a weizen. In saying that, and I may be wrong, but I don't ever remember having a weizen that was not in a bottle. Generally, you gently swirl the bottle to re-suspend the yeast when you pour it into the glass.
fudd

Post by fudd »

Well that sucks, I really didn't want to bottle. Couldn't I just shake the keg before I pour?. So your saying as soon as fermentation is done the beer is ready for carbonation?
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

Well, there's nothing that says you can't keg it. It's your beer, do with it what you want. I have often thought about just kegging a weizen myself. But the yeast really is part of the profile to those beer.

If you are going to bottle, I'd wait a least 2 weeks in the fermenter before you bottle. Weizen yeast generally does not floc well and there will be plenty of it still suspended for bottling.

I personally never use a secondary. This is a personal preference, but there is nothing wrong if you do use one. I usually leave mine in the fermenter for 3 weeks if bottling and 3-4 if I'm kegging. I find that my beer benefits from being on the yeast cake a bit longer. After fermentation, the yeast will start to eat up all the byproducts that are produced. It will take quite a bit longer before autolysis starts to happen. So you don't really need to worry about that happening. My beer is also crystal clear as if I was using a secondary. It's just one less step that I don't need to do.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Two Things

Post by brewmeisterintng »

One: No flavor or aroma hops in a Weizen.
Two: Change the yeast to WLP300. You will not have to worry about the yeast settling out. The brew will forever remain cloudy and yeasty... banana and clove to the last drop.

No problem kegging.
Oh, thumper tube will be REQUIRED!!!
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

What is a "thumper tube"?

Post by billvelek »

What is a "thumper tube"?

Thanks.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by wottaguy »

Hey there Bill....

I think a "thumper tube" is also called a "blow off tube".

Someone please correct me if i'm mistaken! LOL

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Correct

It is also called a blow off tube. It definitely makes a thumping sound while it is in action. Bottom line is there will be more than CO2 escaping from the top of the fermentor. If you rely on simply an air lock, you may be mopping the ceiling. :shock: Usually a Thumper Tube is a large diameter tube that can handle both the crousin and CO2 escaping.
nocluebruer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by nocluebruer »

I make an all grain wheat that's to die for but i'm always worried about how long it sits on the yeast. Can it go longer than 4 weeks or is that really the max before the taste is affected?
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mystery of the Universe

Basic Brewing is doing a big promotional where brewers are making a batch and leaving half on the yeast cake for an additional two weeks to see if there is any "yeast bite" or off flavors. The deadline was May 15 to submit results.I haven't gotten back to the site/ podcast to see if the results are in.
As I have said many times before, I am in the business of recovering my yeast from the primary therefore I transfer when airlock activity stops. It is usually a week for my ales.