brew of a different type... The passing of a legend.

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

brew of a different type... The passing of a legend.

Post by mule »

I hope this is OK with you guys, I felt it was something everyone here could take interest in. Moonshine isn't too far off from beer.... I've always thought it would be fun to brew up a batch of shine. My Grandfather had friends back in KY that did it years ago, I got to taste some cut to 100-120 proof once. WOW. :shock:

If you haven't seen the movie "The Last One" I think it's the best one about moonshiners and how they did it. Unfortunately Popcorn passed away last week. He has a book out called "Me and My Likker". He had just finished a new update on it and had it made ready for his passing. It is being sold for $58 to help his wife out financially. Here is the link for the video and to the book info. I ended up getting both. There is some good bluegrass/folk/Americana music in it too....
http://www.suckerpunchpictures.com/last ... utton.html

Greg
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

I've thought about doing a batch of whiskey, but straight corn liquor is out of the question. I've also tasted actual shine, and couldn't possibly do it again.

That, and it's illegal in Illinois (probably most of the country also).
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mule »

For me it was like drinking a bottle of rubbing alcohol. But, blended, it's not bad.....
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

distillation at home is illegal. I believe you need a license from the government to distill. You have been warned.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mule »

jawbox wrote:distillation at home is illegal. I believe you need a license from the government to distill. You have been warned.
Very true, it's actually a misdemeanor and I am not recommending people try it. Thank you for re-iterating that, someone may have missed it....

That was not the intention of this post.....

Anyone who grew up in the "farm/backwoods" southern states probably had a Father or Grandfather who either made shine or knew someone who did. It for some reason was singled out when WE were granted the OK to homebrew. IF you are like me and have a high regard for history and how the US has progressed, THEN you will understand the significance of this man's passing. The DVD and book in my opinion are a way to preserve a piece of this history in a personal way and to help his widow out.
Back when I was a teen, my Grandfather told stories of people he knew in the "Bottoms" in NW Kentucky who were runners. We would go by old barns that he would point out were for stills or stashes. I met an old fella one time that was like Popcorn, very colorful person and a hoot to be around.
You can't get that kind of memories from history books.....

So, I guess if you are offended by this post, sorry.
Greg
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

In no way offended. Just want to make sure no casual reader thinks that it is legal to do this at home. I'm sure that distillation was singled out due to the inherent dangers in production and final product.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

That's exactly my thoughts. From what I've read, if made wrong, distilled liquors can be lethal.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mule »

Very nasty "craft", pretty lethal stuff to distill and drink. 180 proof is pretty toxic AND Explosive. That's what makes this whole part of our heritage so amazing.....

FYI, this type of thing is rampant with people trying to save a buck and make their own alcohol fuel. When I was looking for the web page for the DVD I came across several threads AND BBS to help people distill for cars. Total nuts IMO, it isn't worth burning down your house or killing yourself and family to save a few bucks. But, they are doing it.

Yeah it would be fun to learn, but seriously, it's nuts to do!