Pace,pace, pace,pace

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Pace,pace, pace,pace

Post by Freon12 »

I' m getting nervous, the octoberfest is still sweet and the air lock is still moving(very slow).
I don't think i'm gonna make it.
Contemplating raising the lager tempreture to compensate sort of like a c-section because it has been 4 months and the beer should not be this sweet at this point. What do you guys think?

Thirsty.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

O.G. vs Current S.G.

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Freon, what are your gravity readings ? I just racked my "Autumn in Bavaria" Oktorberfest, one week in the primary and the air lock was still perking away. My O.G. was 1.054, Saturday when I racked my S.G. was 1.012 (7 days in the primary at 55F). Let the numbers tell you what's going on. Could be that your recipe like mine was low on the IBU's. Most traditional Oktoberfests / Marzens are not overbearing ...

Paul.
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

Just curious

Post by Monkey Man »

What kind of yeast did you use?
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

White Labs WLP820 Oktoberfest / Marzen

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I know that you possed this question to Freon, But since I started using White Labs with a starter 24 hours in advance ... BAMMMMM ... I get rapid response out of my primary, usually 4-6 hours full bore air lock activity. I love brewing (:-}
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

yeast

Post by Monkey Man »

White Labs yeast rocks!!!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wlp820

Post by Freon12 »

I'm using the same yeast and my O.G. was 1.055 and the current is 1.024 a full point away. I had air lock activity in 5hrs and slowly lowered the tempreture from a starting 60f to 54f after racking to my glass secondary. Fermention leveled off and it has a steady perk going. Last time it was like yours, bamm done and consumed in 5 weeks.
This thing keeps going and the gravity is droping, but I have never seen it drop so slow.

signed puzzled.
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

???

Post by Monkey Man »

Have you used WLP820 or any other White Labs products before, specifically their lager yeast?
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yep

Post by Freon12 »

The german lager(northern) is my "house" yeast.
It rocks!! Rocky head you know. I lean towards the malt rather than the hops and this yeast is outstanding for me. I also like the wlp820 for the same reason.
What do you use?
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thai good you like shirt?

Post by Monkey Man »

For lagers I use WLP820 exclusively. In the past I have had problems similar to your post. The neverending slow fermentation. I continue to use the yeast bacause when I brew lagers I like you like the malt. Some people may cringe at how I overcame the sluggish start, but I begin my fermentation at room temperature, then slowly lower it to the correct temp. It has to age longer, but I prefer that to a slow fermentation -I figure less chance of contamination. I brw fairly big batches that require longer lagering anyway. When I begin culturing yeast I will slowly lower the starting temp until I get a house yeast that starts well at low temps. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I used Wyest for a couple of batches- that was before I could get white labs. The yeast I used from them seemed to start better at low temps, but that was about the only benefit, to me of Wyeast.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lunatic

Post by Freon12 »

We will get along well.