Horseradish beer

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

abruques

Horseradish beer

Post by abruques »

I am looking for a recipe to brew a beer with horseradish included. Has anyone a recipe to share? Thanks.
Triskelion

AG, PM or Extract?

Post by Triskelion »

I've never done it, but I bet I could! I'm thinking Blatic Imperial Porter. Horseradish might actually taste good in the Triple Chocolate Imperial Porter that I just made has a malty, full-bodied, alcoholic flavor that would be able to handle horseradish.
abruques

Horseradish beer

Post by abruques »

Triskelion:
Thanks for replying to my request. I'm a malt extract homebrewer with a preference for medium ales that have a distinct hop bite to them, eg: pilseners. The dark ales such as the porter you made are not a style that I lean towards.
However, I can imagine how the horseradish would add a surprising flavour to the porter and make an intriquing drink.
Any idea what quantity of horseradish to use for a standard (23 litre) batch? I look forward to your suggestions. Cheers. It's...
Abruques.
Triskelion

horseradish

Post by Triskelion »

How much to use is going to depend largely upon your taste for the stuff. I would start off with two ounces in the last 7-10 minutes of the boil for a 6 gallon batch of medium bodied beer...maybe an ordinary bitter and then increase to taste in later batches.